A Few Grilled Pizzas w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Morning Smokers,

Cooked some pizzas over the weekend and figured I would share a few pictures of how it went down.

Started out with some fresh dough. Recipe courtesy of John Smokin' in AZ Smokin' in AZ .
pizza39.jpg

Broke it into 8 dough balls. Here are 6 that I let chill in the fridge for a couple hours before using.
pizza40.jpg

Also shown above it the homemade sauce. tx smoker tx smoker was kind enough to share his recipe with me and then I tweaked it to my family's liking. Great stuff and you don't end up eating half a bottle of tums due to the acid reflux you get from store bought or take out sauces.

Not much in the way of prep pics but you can imagine what a pre-cooked pizza looks like. Grill running 475-500 range with the pizza dome contraption in place.

Buffalo chicken about done here.
pizza41.jpg

Done picture of it.
pizza43.jpg

Repeat with all of the others. Spread included a pepperoni/cheese, pepperoni/smoked ham, pepperoni/bacon, garlic cheese bread, and of course the buff chicken. This was kind of a last minute idea so toppings were what I hand on hand at the ease.
pizza42.jpg

Plate her up and we are ready to eat.
pizza44.jpg

The next night I was looking through the fridge. Had some leftover dough and some taco meat and rotel cheese dip from a couple nights previous. Saw Robert post up a taco pizza a few days prior so figured I would make a version of that.

Rotel cheese dip as the sauce base, ground beef taco meat, the shredded mozz cheese, and a chipotle taco sauce drizzle. Perfect chance to use my new CI pizza pan that tx smoker tx smoker gifted me in a Christmas exchange.
pizza46.jpg

Done picture.
pizza48.jpg

Plate her up with a little sour cream and we are good to go.
pizza49.jpg

Bonus is a thin crust CI cheese pizza for my daughter.
pizza45.jpg

pizza47.jpg

Well folks that will do it for now. Really enjoying homemade pizzas more and more. The homemade dough, the homemade sauce, and whole milk mozzarella make all the difference in the world. Y'all stay safe out there.

John

These look great! I wish my current diet allowed for the flour crust/carbs...:emoji_angry:

Nice pies John !! I'm due to make some soon. Might have to throw some dough together tonight when I get home. I'm really digging the rotel dip on the taco pizza! Yumm!!

All your pizzas look great John! A great variety too! It almost looks like you’re getting ready for a Ravens superbowl party!

I’d love a slice of each kind please!

Holy smoke!! Talk about pizza overload. That's a bunch of darned good looking pies there John. Nice job and great work making one for every different taste in the house. That's way cool buddy!!

Robert

Here is what I have used for years with great success.

The goal here is to figure out how big of a dough ball you want.

W= Weight oz
Pi = 3.14
R = Radius /2
TF = Thickness Factor (.10 is standard NY thickness)
W = Pi(3.14) x R x R X TF

- Example: 20.096 = 3.14 x 8 x 8 x .10

Once you know the weight of the dough ball you can figure out the other ingredients. I use a scale for all of my measurements and when it is so small sometimes it is easier to break down to grams.

IngredientPercentageMeasurement
Flour10012.20
Water627.54
Salt1.5.183
Oil1.122
Yeast.25.0305
Sugar1.122

Total all percentages together = 164.75 / 100 = 1.6475

Divide dough ball weight by total percentage 20.096/1.6475 = 12.20 oz of Flour

Then you multiple each percentage by Flour to figure out each ingredient

- Example: Water 12.20 x 62% = 7.54oz

Most of these you can play with – water depending on humidity works best between 58-62%. Sugar you can leave out if you need to, it just helps with the browning process. Again I would convert these to grams and get a scale since we are working with such small numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Wow, Nice looking Piatzas, John!!
I could handle a few pieces of that Real Easy!!
Like.

Bear

Man those look killer!! Cheese on top is just how I like it! The taco pizza is money. Between you and Robert I have to have a taco pizza. I’ll be making pizza for the game Sunday. BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma have you tried fathead dough for pizza? We love it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky