A Fatty, Beef Ribs, and a couple ABTs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thegoodsmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Florida
I wanted to try a bunch of new things today.  I started out by preheating the MES to 275.  Threw on the ribs with pepper, salt, garlic, and chili powder. 

The membrane was hard as crap to get off so I just left it.

All sauced up and ready to be cut.

I do agree with what others have said about the butchers trimming the ribs too much.  Out of the whole rack, maybe enough for one person.  Maybe.  The taste was great though.  I smoked them for 4 hours straight and they were just to my liking.

My first try at a fatty.  1lb JD regular, 1lb ground sirloin mixed up and flattened.  I forgot big ziplock bags at the store.  Added cheddar cheese and jalapenos. 

Probed, I don't think I'll probe next time.  So much cheese, there's no way to get an accurate reading.

Temp was reading 171 so I took the fatty and ABTs out.

Looks good and tasted good for the bite I ate.  Unfortunately it didn't seem like the sausage and sirloin was cooked all the way.  It was in the smoker between 1.5-2 hours.  I'll go three next time.  I already had it cut so I couldn't throw it back on.  I wasn't going to risk it by feeding it to everyone else, so I tossed it.  Better luck next time.

The ABTs I did had strawberries stuffed in them.  I wanted to do something different, I say why not?

Bacon and pepper was good, not a real strawberry flavor.  It did have a hint of sweetness to it though.

Hope you enjoyed the pics, and hopefully I enjoy a fatty next time.

Last edited:
looks like you had a great day :yahoo:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky