8lb bone in Shoulder for 15 people?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkedda

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I plan to smoke a 8lb bone in shoulder this friday. I will be entertaining 15 people, 5 of which are BIG eaters. Will this be enough meat?

We will have some appys, desert, buns, and slaw.

Should I get more meat? Will this be enough?

I would do two at least, Pulled Pork will freeze really well if you don't need it all but what about if you run out, your bad...

I saw that episode with Ed somebody, he had his grill so hot he melted his tire on his smoker...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Apparently he is the pit-master for some big restaurant there in a college town in North Carolina. I saw him in a episode of I believe Diners Drive-ins and Dives, Still wearing the same Overalls and Shirt.

I would do 2 and if you ask my wife 3 but no 2 should be more than enough and then you can be the great guy and give your some to take home. They'll love you for it.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

numbers have changed. now its 12 with only 3 big eaters.

anyone's opinion change ?

After cooking and removing bone you will have roughly 4 pounds pork.Alot of people figure 1/3 pound pork per person.Get some BIG kaiser style rolls and if they put cole-slaw etc. on them thats nice amount with some sides for the average folk.I eat two easy....I am 6'3-235

If you can the suggestions for 2 would possibly give you a few leftover meals...

No. Google for "memphis barbeque". Look at the restaurants, Neely's, Corky's, etc.. They employ long smoked techniques.

I watched that show and tried the fast method with a small rack of ribs. The meat was not "falling off the bones", but it was not bad. These ribs do not hold a candle to ribs done in the smoker.

Well 8 pounds is the precook weight, I am assuming. You will only clear 4 to 6 lbs of meat. So you will want to make two. Even more so if you have a few big eaters coming over.

Just my 2 cents.

Two For Sure, I Just Did A 8lber Over The Weekend That Feed 4 Adult And 3 Kids. Leftover Enough For 4 More Sammies, Plus Enough For A Friend Who Could Not Made The Dinner

You can't go wrong with 2, but I was wondering what else you are going to serve. If you have some great sides, that will make the meat go further. And if you have a great desert then no one will go home hungry.

IMO, your guests will appreciate your BBQ more if there is not quite enogh rather than so much that they can continue to eat until they cannot take another bite. (But that's me.
icon_redface.gif
I have no impulse control when it comes to good food, bad food ... )

-walter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky