70lbs pulled pork on traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kurto

Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
Have a big event coming up and want to make pulled pork for about 150 people. Questions I'm wondering are:

1. How much meat do I need? Heard 1/4 lb up to 1/2 per person. Which is it? With this kind of quantity that's a big diff.

3. Have a traeger select pro and am concerned if I can fit that much in there? Anyone know if I can? I don't have a second shelf.

4. What total cook time do you think it will take? I can't find anyone who has cooked such a large portion who would know. Seems the more meat I have on the longer it takes so this could be disastrous if it's not done on time. Should I just cook day prior and hold it over somehow?

Any tips are appreciated!

Is this a commercial or private cook, are you hosting it or is it for someone else?
Do you want to make a profit or just be a generous host?
How many sides are being offered?
Are these PP sammies, how big are your buns? You want to fill that bun.
Figure it at 1/3lb per person
You'll lose an average 30% per lb of boneless butt, and 40% of a bone-in during cooking.
Cook and extra butt or two to account for dropped plates, second helpings and other possible losses.

Last edited:
This is just a family function so bragging rights is all I'm after. Haven't figured out sides yet and just reg hamburger buns. Thks

Like John said more info is needed to help you out.

What's the makeup of the group: adults, kids, mixed or a high school football team?

Your talking about 9 or 10 butts(at least) I not sure if your smoker can do all of them all at once. I would cook the meat in advance and reheat it at the event if possible. PP reheats very easy and doesn't loose much if any of it's flavor.

Chris

This is just a family function so bragging rights is all I'm after. Haven't figured out sides yet and just reg hamburger buns. Thks
Okay, so yeah, you want to be the generous host.
You'll want to figure 1/3lb per adult and 1/4 or less for kids.
1/3lb should fill up all but the largest buns, and satisfy all but the heartiest appetites.
Expect some demands for seconds, some dropped plates and other possible mishaps.

150/1/3=50+35%=17.5=68lbs of Butts
Call it nine eight pound butts or more if smaller
Lot of butts, you're going to need to split up your cook.
Like Chris said, cook it all the day(s) before and reheat.
Pull it and vacuum pack it, then just reheat the vac bags in simmering water.
Use a good finishing sauce once put in serving pans.
I'd recommend, Soflaquer's Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork

I would really suggest at least doing some in advance and then reheating. I have never done near that much at once, but that seems like a ton for a Traeger. That also gives you some flexibility if the cook does not go as planned.

My dad just recently smoked two butts the day before, saved the juices, and then reheated in a roaster pan. Mix those juices back in (with the fat removed). You would have never known that it was smoked the day before - delicious.

what size is your traeger? My Camp chef has 811 sq. in of rack cooking area and I would think I could do about 60lbs
If I loaded top and bottom shelf

Thanks guys for the advice. Looks like I better do some precooking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky