600 Gal RF build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Outstanding! Still curious about the plenum....How does it hold temps? Did you notice any hot spots on the racks?

Outstanding! Still curious about the plenum....How does it hold temps? Did you notice any hot spots on the racks?
Thanks kmmamm kmmamm , I thought it held temps pretty well. As far as hot spots, I didn't notice anything that , however that said, this was my first time ever running anything other then my Big Green Egg or my Meadowcreek BX50, which is an upright cabinet style smoker. Everything turned out great, especially the brisket! As far as the plenum, what should I be watching for or noticing if thats going to potentially cause issues?

Based on the success of your first run, I don’t think you will experience too many “problems” 😉. As you get more cooks under your belt, the smoker will begin revealing its “quarks“. Sometimes a hot spot may only be an area running 10 degrees hotter...which doesn‘t seem like much, but over a 10-14 hour cook it has to be managed as it can be the difference between moist tender meat and jerky. I find the easiest way to get a base line on a new build is to fully load the cc with uniform sized baking potatoes (unwrapped) and then cook them lid down undisturbed for four hours at a target temp range of 272-300.
After four hours are up, I open the lid and observe the results.

Reactions: dkmiller16
Based on the success of your first run, I don’t think you will experience too many “problems” 😉. As you get more cooks under your belt, the smoker will begin revealing its “quarks“. Sometimes a hot spot may only be an area running 10 degrees hotter...which doesn‘t seem like much, but over a 10-14 hour cook it has to be managed as it can be the difference between moist tender meat and jerky. I find the easiest way to get a base line on a new build is to fully load the cc with uniform sized baking potatoes (unwrapped) and then cook them lid down undisturbed for four hours at a target temp range of 272-300.
After four hours are up, I open the lid and observe the results.
That will take a boat load of potatoes but that a great idea!

Couple more pics of the smoker so far.
20200802_173800.jpg
20200801_071642.jpg
20200730_172909.jpg
20200730_195708.jpg
20200730_002654.jpg

Turned out great. Did you put a damper on your exhaust anywhere? With that internal plenum to me it looks like the smoke would stack up in the end of the CC and not draft out as well. The domed end of the tank kind acts like a funnel, so if you were to cur the smoke stack about flush with the inside of the top of CC you may see more even drafting. On my RF (granted it's way smaller), if I close down my exhaust damper to say 50%, my temps will spike on the right side of the CC. Just something to think about.

Hey DK, after a few uses, How's it working ???? Even heat ??? Low fuel consumption ???
I noticed that thin blue smoke.. The meat looks like it's cooking pretty even..... And you've got a cute sous chef !!!!

Turned out great. Did you put a damper on your exhaust anywhere? With that internal plenum to me it looks like the smoke would stack up in the end of the CC and not draft out as well. The domed end of the tank kind acts like a funnel, so if you were to cur the smoke stack about flush with the inside of the top of CC you may see more even drafting. On my RF (granted it's way smaller), if I close down my exhaust damper to say 50%, my temps will spike on the right side of the CC. Just something to think about.
I did not put a damper on the exhaust, I had considered but figured I would run it like this for a while and see how it runs. So far its great. As far as the internal plenum, that was prob the biggest questionable decision of the whole build, to do or not to do. I decided I can always get in there with a torch or plasma and cut it off if it causes issues. So far the right side, closest to CC is sometimes 5-10 degrees hotter but also hasn't been an issue yet.

Hey DK, after a few uses, How's it working ???? Even heat ??? Low fuel consumption ???
I noticed that thin blue smoke.. The meat looks like it's cooking pretty even..... And you've got a cute sous chef !!!!
Hey there daveomak daveomak , I could not be more pleased with how its working. Pretty even heat if i keep the fire steady. That is the biggest change from what I was used to, staying on top of keeping that good clean fire burning. I was used to filling up the charcoal tray and then adding the occasional small split but it would run for hours untended. As far as even heat, right side, closest to CC runs 5-10 degrees hotter occasionally. I haven't quite figured it out yet but for the most part its pretty even across the grates. Fuel consumption is a split every 30-45 minutes once it rolling. I have been wanting to a followup post, still to come, with what all I learned through the process and how its working.

Reactions: daveomak
I forgot to mention, a major improvement, the added volume I can crank out. Last 2 weeks I put 13 brisket, 10 pork shoulders and a 12# prime rib through El Fuego! And my little sous chef pulled an all nighter with my onsite. That hammock looked pretty comfortable at 6:00 am.

20200905_055813.jpg
20200912_170025.jpg
20200912_135311.jpg
20200905_064440.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky