60+ person BBQ, An adventure……

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TampaNole27

Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
I am super honored to not only be hosting my Father in Laws 60th, but also providing the bbq. I’ve been smoking for about 4-5 years now. I love the process and think I’m “okay” at it, but everyone else seems to love my bbq.
Thought I’d share the endeavor as it will be my largest cook ever, although I will be shortcutting.

Cooking:
3 - 10lb Pork Butts/pulled pork (week prior, tomorrow)
60- Chicken Drumsticks
50- Beer Brats

Using:
Dyna-Glo Offset Vertical (my tried and true)
Masterbuilt Gravity 1050 (my newbie)
Blackstone Griddle
B&B Charcoal and Pecan Wood Chunks
Yummly Meat Probe
Meat Church Holy Gospel Rub for pork butts (excited to finally try it)
Homemade Chicken Rub for Drummies

Will post pictures and update as it goes.

First Step: overnight rub for the butts. Will cook and pull tomorrow then immediately vacuum seal and freeze. Boil bag day of party. It’s cheating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 32
Thank you!!!! Yeah if there’s another way to do it, like staying up all night, I don’t wanna do it lol.

Reactions: DougE
Sounds like a great plan TN27.
You're gonna love that MCHC and MB1050 !
Keep us updated with pics !
And remember to keep the juice.
Or you planning on a finishing sauce ?

Reactions: forktender
Looking forward to seeing you go at it! I’m with everyone else, good plan and that definitely isn’t cheating! 912smoker 912smoker had a good question, are you using finishing sauce? How do you plan on reheating?

I am super honored to not only be hosting my Father in Laws 60th, but also providing the bbq. I’ve been smoking for about 4-5 years now. I love the process and think I’m “okay” at it, but everyone else seems to love my bbq.
Thought I’d share the endeavor as it will be my largest cook ever, although I will be shortcutting.

Cooking:
3 - 10lb Pork Butts/pulled pork (week prior, tomorrow)
60- Chicken Drumsticks
50- Beer Brats

Using:
Dyna-Glo Offset Vertical (my tried and true)
Masterbuilt Gravity 1050 (my newbie)
Blackstone Griddle
B&B Charcoal and Pecan Wood Chunks
Yummly Meat Probe
Meat Church Holy Gospel Rub for pork butts (excited to finally try it)
Homemade Chicken Rub for Drummies

Will post pictures and update as it goes.

First Step: overnight rub for the butts. Will cook and pull tomorrow then immediately vacuum seal and freeze. Boil bag day of party. It’s cheating.
I'd add a foil drip pan under each butt and use it to pour over the reheated pork, it tastes great, nobody will ever know it was pre-smoked. Just tell them all you stayed up all night cooking for them, for added brownie points down the road. LOL!!!

I have to smoke up a bunch for my parent's RV club outing next month, and I always do them in advance of the meal date, they turn out wonderful.

Best of luck too you.
Dan

How many lbs of finished meat did you decide on per person/ portion weight?

Sounds like a great plan TN27.
You're gonna love that MCHC and MB1050 !
Keep us updated with pics !
And remember to keep the juice.
Or you planning on a finishing sauce ?
Thanks! Yep, gonna keep the juice to add to bag when sealing.
I wasn’t planning on a finishing sauce. Usually just serve dry alongside few bbq sauce choices. Would y’all suggest to with the freezing?

Reactions: 912smoker
Looking forward to seeing you go at it! I’m with everyone else, good plan and that definitely isn’t cheating! 912smoker 912smoker had a good question, are you using finishing sauce? How do you plan on reheating?
I don’t typically finish with a sauce. Open to suggestions always.
I simmer/boil the bag back to life at point of serving.

I'd add a foil drip pan under each butt and use it to pour over the reheated pork, it tastes great, nobody will ever know it was pre-smoked. Just tell them all you stayed up all night cooking for them, for added brownie points down the road. LOL!!!

I have to smoke up a bunch for my parent's RV club outing next month, and I always do them in advance of the meal date, they turn out wonderful.

Best of luck too you.
Dan

How many lbs of finished meat did you decide on per person/ portion weight?
Not sure on weight except the butt.
30lbs, precooked Butt, 50-60 drummies,and 50-60 brats. Bunch of sides too. Thinking will allow everyone two sandwiches and one of each add on meat knowing not everyone will take a brat or drummie.

Up and at it this morning! Really impressed with the B&B Charcoal and Wood Chunks. Perfect blue hue.

Attachments

• 43F597FA-72D9-49B6-9381-3F5417B43421.jpeg
    43F597FA-72D9-49B6-9381-3F5417B43421.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 14
  • EC173B46-BC86-404E-96CE-0914C479A135.jpeg
    EC173B46-BC86-404E-96CE-0914C479A135.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: 912smoker
I did this often and sometimes for 500+

after doing for a while thing I liked best was shredding pork after it rested for your preferred time and adding in any juice etc you like to use. I would then put into ziploc bags and put in fridge for 2 days. Smoke flavor intensifies when in fridge. After two days I transfer to vacuum seal and add in some beef tallow to help with moisture while reheating

reheat how you prefer in boiling water, sous vide

Reactions: TampaNole27
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky