60 lbs of whole turkeys today. hope it works

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by caspian, Jul 18, 2015.

1. caspian

caspian Newbie

Bought these birds at thanksgiving just for a summer smoke.  They are big ones, 20 lbs each.  I used Pops Brine over night and Bilbos rub on them.  I have a 12 pack of Apple-Rita that my wife doesn't like, so i poured those in the bottom of the pans for added moisture and flavor.  Wood is ash and apple. 

Smoking at 300-325.  It's a full time job maintaining temps.  The smoker can do it, but the limited air circulation and mass of meat is a challenge.  Probes are in the breasts.

I plan on sharing with friends and vacuum sealing/freezing the extra.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Only thing you are missing is the all the SMF members to help you eat that load of turkey!

3. caspian

caspian Newbie

WTF? they are done already.  4.25 hours.  I have probed them in multiple areas and all read 160.  They are currently resting on the open smoker with foil wrap.  Smoker is around 130-140.  Can this be right? 

The smoker was around 300 - 325 the whole time.  Does it act like a giant convection oven?  How else would such big birds cook so fast?    Cutting them will let me know if everything went right (or wrong). 

4. caspian

caspian Newbie

Well, they were done.  All clear juices.  the breast was just slightly dry, although i am used to pork, so maybe it was ok.  the dark meat was OUTSTANDING. 

5. chalupabatman

chalupabatman Smoke Blower

Nice.