60 Gallon Reverse Flow out of air compressor tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DBYRD254

Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Hi members, I'm the new guy here from Waco, Tx. I am fairly new to smoking but I love smoked food and want to build a smoker out of this 60 gallon air tank I bought a while back.

Wants:
Easy to maintain temp
Even temp across entire CC
Multipurpose firebox(use top for griddle)
Multipupose stand(wood rack underneath for storage)

Questions:
Keep rounded end on firebox side or go flat(other end will remain rounded)?
Best way to build plenum or collector for exhaust pipe.
How do I calculate for a square firebox instead of a round one?
Are controllers/fans worth it and what is the best way to mount them? Should they push air into FB under the wood or more push it into the CC?
Damper on the firebox/cc opening or not?
1/4" or 3/8" for firebox?
Is there such thing as too many vents on the FB?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• airtank.jpg
    airtank.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 33
Follow this and you will have a great smoker....

How do I calculate for a square firebox instead of a round one?

L X W X H = volume

Here is what a few folks say about the information available on this forum for smoker builds...

Reactions: DBYRD254
Here is a link to the build that I just finished up a couple months ago. It was my first build, and I'm really happy with the results now. I also used a 60 gallon tank. Read through it and hopefully there is some info you can use in it, and then also learn from the mistakes I made before you make them.

This thing is pumping out some good meat now that I have it figured out. This past weekend was bbq chicken that was incredible, and the weekend before were competition ribs that were probably the best I've ever done.

Reactions: DBYRD254
Here is a link to the build that I just finished up a couple months ago. It was my first build, and I'm really happy with the results now. I also used a 60 gallon tank. Read through it and hopefully there is some info you can use in it, and then also learn from the mistakes I made before you make them.

This thing is pumping out some good meat now that I have it figured out. This past weekend was bbq chicken that was incredible, and the weekend before were competition ribs that were probably the best I've ever done.

I will read it now! Thanks!!

Well I'm finally getting back around to doing some more design work on this thing. Working on the firebox design. So far I have this drawn up. Any suggestions or tweaks you can see so far? This is an end/front view. V shaped bottom with plates welded front to back at 6" height on the sides and bottom. Voids to be filled with blow in fiberglass insulation and welded shut. Propane log lighter running side to side for easy log lighting. Heavy duty grates on top of the V shape to hold my logs.

Attachments

• fireboxinsidefrontview.JPG
    fireboxinsidefrontview.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 29
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky