• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

60 Gallon Reverse Flow out of air compressor tank

DBYRD254

Joined Jul 11, 2020
Hi members, I'm the new guy here from Waco, Tx. I am fairly new to smoking but I love smoked food and want to build a smoker out of this 60 gallon air tank I bought a while back.

Wants:
Easy to maintain temp
Even temp across entire CC
Multipurpose firebox(use top for griddle)
Multipupose stand(wood rack underneath for storage)

Questions:
Keep rounded end on firebox side or go flat(other end will remain rounded)?
Best way to build plenum or collector for exhaust pipe.
How do I calculate for a square firebox instead of a round one?
Are controllers/fans worth it and what is the best way to mount them? Should they push air into FB under the wood or more push it into the CC?
Damper on the firebox/cc opening or not?
1/4" or 3/8" for firebox?
Is there such thing as too many vents on the FB?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Follow this and you will have a great smoker....

How do I calculate for a square firebox instead of a round one?
L X W X H = volume

Here is what a few folks say about the information available on this forum for smoker builds...

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
Welcome to the forum. Looks like Dave got ya some good reading material. I look forward to watching your build.

cysmoker

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 4, 2019
Here is a link to the build that I just finished up a couple months ago. It was my first build, and I'm really happy with the results now. I also used a 60 gallon tank. Read through it and hopefully there is some info you can use in it, and then also learn from the mistakes I made before you make them.

This thing is pumping out some good meat now that I have it figured out. This past weekend was bbq chicken that was incredible, and the weekend before were competition ribs that were probably the best I've ever done.

DBYRD254

Joined Jul 11, 2020
Here is a link to the build that I just finished up a couple months ago. It was my first build, and I'm really happy with the results now. I also used a 60 gallon tank. Read through it and hopefully there is some info you can use in it, and then also learn from the mistakes I made before you make them.

This thing is pumping out some good meat now that I have it figured out. This past weekend was bbq chicken that was incredible, and the weekend before were competition ribs that were probably the best I've ever done.

I will read it now! Thanks!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.