60 Gal Reverse Flow with woodstove----First build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gonefishin89

Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Started this project about a month or two ago. Just gettin around to posting in here. Have been reading alot of threads and got alot of useful info. Started with a 60 gal air tank and a boxwood cook stove. Scored the tank, metal and grates all for free. only thing i have had to buy so far is woodstove but only paid 75 dollars for that. Hopin to get it painted here soon and fire her up. Just got to fig out how to post pictures on here.haha

Last edited:
How do you post pictures into thread.......i have them posted onto my profile but cant post to thread

How do you post pictures into thread.......i have them posted onto my profile but cant post to thread
I am not sure but have seen where some posters said the first few pics you post have to be approved by a mod.Hang in there I would like to see what you have going on with your build.

Dan

Ive given it a couple days but still cant see how to post pics. I need some help guys, wanna show a couple pics of smoker so yall can see what im working with. Kinda hard to explain it without pics. Basically i have the woodstove outlet welded straight to the bottom of tank. i have my baffle plate welded in and my smoke stack attached. I also have mounted the rig on a old lawn mower axle so i can move it around yard. Also once i start smokin meat.....i have a bunch of cherry and oak here at house. will that work? Thanks in advance

LOL saw the title and thought this was my thread!

Gonefishin I am also building a 60 gallon and using a woodstove
Really curious what your tank dimensions are and how big is your woodstove? Can't wait to see it! I'm not the most computer savvy guy but if you are still trying to figure out pics let me know and maybe I can help you figure it out. I think there might be a sticky on posting pics somewhere around here though. :popcorn

Awesome! Glad to hear Im not the only one buildin a smoker with woodstove..haha...the tank is a normal 60 gal air compressor tank...not sure the dimensions but i will measure and let you know....guestimate would be 20-21 inches wide....54 inches long or so. the wood stove is a boxwood style....northern tool sells them prob 21-22inches long 8 inch wide 10 inch tall. Yea if you know how to post them let me know i really wanna show the progress. Thanks for your help

Looks-Great.gif
Nice job!!  what size is the outlet from the stove to the tank and what diameter and length is your chimney? 

Are those two pieces of open ended square tube to mount a shelf?

Last edited:
Thanks! The outlet from the stove to the cook chamber is 6inch diameter. No pipe used just welded straight to tank. The exhaust stack is 4" diameter exhaust pipe 36" tall. Yea the square tubin will hold a wood shelf once im done painting it and all.

Looking forward to seeing it painted and some Qview.  How is it holding temps for you?, when I ran your numbers on the feldons pit calculator the chimney length came out to 7". Also wanted to ask how you went about cutting the 6" hole for the woodstove to tank.

The chimney is only suppose to be 7inches long? Its holding temps good......i was reading 250 at one end and 235 at other.....after raking out the coals and addin some wood i got the temps up to 300 and 285. Plenty hot to do some smoking. I cut the 6inch hole very carefully. lol. i used a air cut off wheel and went very slow. It turned out pretty good.

I really like the way the stove legs are supported by the angle steel base, that worked out perfect. How high is the bottom of your cook chamber opening/ or how high is the door handle from the ground when it is fully open?  Trying to get an idea of how tall to build my base. Looks really nice with the paint!.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky