500 Gal. Smoker

Discussion in 'Side Fire Box' started by kenscustomfab, Feb 13, 2011.

1. kenscustomfab

kenscustomfab Newbie

Hey guys and gals. New here and also to building smokers. I figured i would post my project since the info from this site has helped a great deal. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

WOW thats some smoker!!! You could fit a whole side of beef on that thing!! Can't wait to see some Q on that thing!

3. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Did you sand blast the trailer?

4. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Nice work!!

Craig

5. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

BEAUTIFUL!!

6. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man that's a great looking build. I am very jealous. How does it run? Have you fired it up yet?

7. you have admirable welding skills sir.

Any ducting or stonework inside the body of the smoker to help eve out the flow of heat, and insulate?

8. Nice rig ya got there, which one puts more smoke out the stacks, the dodge or the smoker? lol[​IMG]

9. kenscustomfab

kenscustomfab Newbie

Thanks everyone. This was completed in september for a buddy of mine that owns a bbq restaurant here in portland. He's been playing with it since then trying to figure out how it cooks. He cooked 40 racks of ribs for superbowl and said they were the best ribs he has ever done. Its main purpose is for catering starting this spring. Feel free to post any areas you think I might improve. I'm still new to bbqs. I will also be starting two 5' x 24" smokers here in the next week or so.

[quote name="bmudd14474" url="/forum/thread/103573/500-gal-smoker#post_595797"]
    Did you sand blast the trailer?
    [/quote]
    The tank and trailer both sandblasted. The next one I do, I will build the trailer from scratch. There ended up being to much prep to clean it up.

[quote name="I is a moose" url="/forum/thread/103573/500-gal-smoker#post_595873"]
    you have admirable welding skills sir.

Any ducting or stonework inside the body of the smoker to help eve out the flow of heat, and insulate?
    [/quote]
    No stones or plates. There are two trays under the food grates that hold coals if more heat is needed. The tank ended up being 3/8 thick so it holds the heat really well.

[quote name="countrysmoke" url="/forum/thread/103573/500-gal-smoker#post_595879"]
    Nice rig ya got there, which one puts more smoke out the stacks, the dodge or the smoker? lol[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    I would have to say the dodge. Has enough fuel to make those pesky tailgaters disappear. Lol

10. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

WoW what a nice smoker.. You did a great job on it [​IMG]

11. kenscustomfab

kenscustomfab Newbie

[quote name="tyotrain" url="/forum/thread/103573/500-gal-smoker#post_596134"]
    WoW what a nice smoker.. You did a great job on it [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Thank you. I've always been a propane cooker guy but this has given me the smoking bug. Two more to build then I'm doing one for me around the 20 to 30 gal size.

12. VERY nice work.  Would love to see that thing in action.

13. Excellent work. Agree with the others, would love to see it in action.

Does the heat from the fire box come out at the top of the fire box? I was thinking it would put the heat rather high in the cook chamber if it did, but it sounds like it works.

Great looking build.

14. fourashleys

fourashleys Smoking Fanatic

Great looking build Kudos!

15. kenscustomfab

kenscustomfab Newbie

[quote name="KCbluesNbbq" url="/forum/thread/103573/500-gal-smoker#post_598140"]
    Excellent work. Agree with the others, would love to see it in action.

Does the heat from the fire box come out at the top of the fire box? I was thinking it would put the heat rather high in the cook chamber if it did, but it sounds like it works.

Great looking build.
    [/quote]

The exit for the firebox is pretty close to its top but with two plates running the length of the tank the heat gets dispursed fairly even.
    Thanks for the kudos :yahoo: Im trying to get some pictures of it in action but with all the liquid sunshine around here the owner doesn't get to use it much.

16. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]have fun and rememberto...

17. smokey mo

smokey mo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Good looking build.  Hope your friend does well with it.  The PNW gets enough liquid sunshine to drown a fish,  I understand the delay.

18. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Man, that is one great looking smoker. Like everyone else here, would love to see it in action!

19. Looks GoodThumbs Up

20. sniltz

sniltz Meat Mopper

[​IMG]Really nice build!!!!!  You have some mad welding skills!