5 Days Of Restaurant Food, I Wanted Filet Mignon (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We got home from our trip to TN on Tuesday after hooking up with TNJAKE TNJAKE , his wife, SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan , and his wife. Had an amazing time, drank a bunch of beer with those boys, saw some gorgeous mountains, and was subjected to some pretty miserable food. Every day we were there I swore I was gonna get a steak just because I was craving one. Never did though. As disappointing as the food was overall, it would have been an even bigger disappointment to order a steak. Decided to just gut it out till we got home. Several trips to the freezer wondering what I wanted, I finally decided on some CPB filets. Not a whole lot of pics this time as we were busy catching up on stuff that needed to be done.

The filets seasoned with a touch of my beef rub. Two are nice center cut but the other two are end cuts
01.jpg

Cut up a nice salad
02.jpg

We were pretty well wiped out and I didn't feel like messing with charcoal. Fired up the sear burner on the gasser. Wide open and running 1100*. These won't take long.
03.jpg

Nice sear on the steaks and warmed up a bone for Bianca
04.jpg

Steaks plated with the salad, a loaded baked potato, and some cheesy garlic Texas toast. Sorry for the ugly plate.
05.jpg

I may have been brain dead but still paid attention to the steaks.
06.jpg

Perfect filet mignon....at least from my perspective.
07.jpg

Not one of me best presentations by a long shot but those filets came out really well so thought I'd post them. We have not really eaten out for several years and I guess we've gotten spoiled eating at home. I don't know if the food quality at restaurants has always been this bad and I never realized it before or if the quality has just dropped off significantly. Truth be told, one of our best meals was the free breakfast at the hotel in Springfield where we stayed to hook up with Jake. Not exactly a culinary Nirvana, that's for sure. Glad to be home though and can get back to eating what we like...prepared the way we like it. As they said in the Wizard of Oz: There's no place like home...Toto :emoji_laughing:

Thanks for looking and once more my apologies for a pretty sloppy presentation but man those filets were good!! Once again I'll say they are without question the best beef we have ever eaten.

Robert

Those filets are off the charts Robert. You killed it man. As we discussed almost all restaurant food is overpriced and crap nowadays so I am sure that was a breath of fresh air after 5 days on the road.

Ashley and I had an absolute blast with you and Tracy. You guys are both class act's and cant wait to do it again one day! Also glad we were able to put a little dent in the beer supply here in the area!

• Haha
Reactions: crazymoon
Definitely dinning out has taken a hard turn towards the mundane. Can't put a finger on when that first became noticeable but it has been many years now. Cooking at home has been the norm here. Frankly we don't know of a decent restaurant in the area. Knowing your abilities Robert, I'll bet even in the size of Texas those restaurants are non-existent.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I’d gladly pay resturant prices for those filets Robert, because we know what we’re getting! I hear ya on going out to eat, I think the outrageous prices make you pay a little more attention to the quality of the food. And if it doesn’t live up to that price point, it feels like you’re getting ripped off.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Wow Those fillets look great. At 1100 how long did you sear them per side?

Ugly my ass, Robert. I would pony up to that meal any day. I agree, I hate to eat out all the time, too much $$ and we all make better food at home. Glad you had a nice trip, I would love to meet up with some great forum members at some time.

Sorry for the ugly plate.

Nothing wrong with that plate Robert

Like our toothful friend would say its " purdi "

Glad you had a good trip , and like others have said.
We are finding it hard to find a good meal out that you say, wow next time we come back we should try....

Between the price and what you get flavor wise etc.

Home cooking it is for us

David

Excellent meal as usual Robert!
Those steaks are done to perfection!
I think I may have a couple in my freezer.
Maybe for our 57th anniversary on the 25th.
Haven’t been to a restaurant in over 3 years, just don’t enjoy eating food that we can cook better & paying too much for it. But going out with friends is great & the food always tastes better after some adult beverages!
Al

Those filets are off the charts Robert. You killed it man. As we discussed almost all restaurant food is overpriced and crap nowadays so I am sure that was a breath of fresh air after 5 days on the road.
Thanks buddy. Appreciate the kind words. Yes we had discussed the lack of quality in restaurant food but you just don't realize how bad it is until you actually go out and experience it. Sure was nice to have a home cooked meal, even basic one.
Ashley and I had an absolute blast with you and Tracy. You guys are both class act's and cant wait to do it again one day! Also glad we were able to put a little dent in the beer supply here in the area!
We had a blast also!! Meeting you was a kick in the a$$ but I figured out pretty quick that Ashley has the same twisted sense of humor that I do. The girl couldn't stop laughing!! Heck, there were a couple times I thought she was gonna spit her drink across the table she was laughing so hard :emoji_laughing: We absolutely cannot wait to hook up with you guys again!!

Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Definitely dinning out has taken a hard turn towards the mundane. Can't put a finger on when that first became noticeable but it has been many years now. Cooking at home has been the norm here. Frankly we don't know of a decent restaurant in the area. Knowing your abilities Robert, I'll bet even in the size of Texas those restaurants are non-existent.
Thanks for the feedback Matt. So sad that the food quality has dropped off so badly but the prices have gone through the roof. I guess we missed the slow decline and it hit us all at once due to not having been out to eat in ages. There actually are some really good restaurants in TX (at least from what I hear) but we are not inclined to drop several hundred dollars on a meal....especially when we could probably still make it better at home.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky