5 Boston butts

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokingunny, Sep 4, 2014.

1. smokingunny

smokingunny Meat Mopper

Well I've really gone and done it now. My unit is having a safety stand down/ BBQ tomorrow and guess who got volunteered to smoke?! We took up donations and the commissary happened to have butts for $1.93/lb so we got 5.

Only problem is the lid on the chargriller won't close with all five on there. Luckily a contractor buddy has a Bradley electric smoker that he let me borrow. So I'll do 3 in one and 2 in the other. Gonna be a long night.

2. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's the way to do it...

Put them in and forget about them till temp. time [​IMG]

Have fun and . . .

3. smokingunny

smokingunny Meat Mopper

My main issue is I have the chargriller duo, so the CC isn't that big. Once I modify my other grill into a reverse flow, I'll be able to do ten butts with room to spare.

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a fun night.

Post some pics too.

5. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I hate to even mention this, but....... You know you can get the smoke rolling and then finish them in the oven. If it gets too much of a hassle Gunny.

Just a thought.

6. smokingunny

smokingunny Meat Mopper

That's exactly what I intend to do. Smoke about 6 hours and then for another 6 or so into the oven. But they don't need to know that...

7. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks like a fun night and thanks for your service Gunny!

8. smokingunny

smokingunny Meat Mopper

Everyone loved the meat.

This is what's left out of all 5.

9. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks great Gunny. Sure looks strange to me seeing women in camo though. I am sure its a better service for them being there though.

Ya know I would hate to have to guess how many to cook to feed a bunch of Marines (that wasn't my first choice of names,........ ROFL).

Great job, nothing greater than seeing a bunch of smiling Marines. You know you are no longer in trouble.

10. smokingunny

smokingunny Meat Mopper

They were quite happy. Usually their interaction with me consists of them getting yelled at for something.

11. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

For these days, you got a good price in my area.

When I get the desired amount of smoke on them, I am not too proud to put them in the oven and get some rack time.

I don't have to tell you?

Keep yelling at them!

You are saving lives!

Good luck and good smoking.