4th try to post Hi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

handymanherb

Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I'm HandymanHerb in Orlando, I quit there becuase I been dumped 2 times, it locked up on spell check the first time, so I give up trying

Hiya Herb,

Welcome to smf!

I think some days the computer just has to make sure that we know who's the boss.

Welcome to the SMF, and congrats on winning the tug of war. When you have a chance, give us a little introduction about yourself and your choice of smoking/grilling equipment. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to the site handymanherb.

The site still has a hitch or two in its gettie up, but for me 99.9% of the time things are good. I have come to really like this format and wish some of the others I view had some of these features.

Hope you enjoy.

Let me try it again, Hi I'm Herb, and I want to be a smoker, my younger brother has smoked a few times, he used one of his friend's smoker last July to make us a great brisket at family reunion, and everyone is ready to dump the same old chicken we order every year and go for some more good smoked meat.

So we want to make our own as we can't find what we want, we not fooling around and are going to build a trailer mount, we are still in the design mode, but we are thinking right now we want to build it vertical 6 ft high x 7ft long x 35 inches wide, we leave the top foot for warming/holding.

Also thinking right now we want the fire box in the bottom, so we could use the full length for even heat and if we want, we can make it hot were we want it to be.

We would include baffles so the heat wouldn't go straight to the meat and having the water troth one the end of one of the baffles to carry the steam up with the smoke and heat.

We got a great mig welder, we need to get a plasma cutter to cut the pieces clean and stright as possible, also I was thinking about building it double walled, to hold heat better.

But we will wait to see what you guys think, we know we may not get it perfect the first time and may have to tune on it, but want it to be close.

Welcome Herb - glad to have you here and there is a lot of great info on building your own smoker if you do a search you will find all you need

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Might be a while before we get started, my brother have been doing the maintenance for a 31 chain stores for years and going to take over the janitorial work too, just a carpet machine goes from 2000 to 7000 dollars easy, so spare money may be tight for a while.

It should give us more time later to build what we want, we have till June to get it built,  we hope we can get all the stores up in great shape in 2 months so we will have more time for projects.

But when we get started I'll be sure to post pictures

Last edited:
One of the guys on pontoonforums.com asked for advice on a smoker to buy for Christmas, I and one more member there and here too, told him to check here first, that a few other guys are smoking already, will join in too, I told them just the pictures of the food with make you hungry for some good smoked food. 

Welcome to SMF Herb. Check out the 5 day ecourse. Lots of great information in there. As for the trailer smoker you want to build that sounds massive. Check out the build section and you will find lots of great ones done by members here.

Welcome to SMF HandymanHerb, glad you joined us!

My suggestion would be an inexpensive build of a UDS (ugly drum smoker) or purchase an inexpensive smoker to suffice while you research other peoples builds - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/197

Doing this will maintain your interest in smoking (what you make will drive you towards smoking more and more) and hands experience's will give you accurate idea of what you really want to build.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts and hearing what you end up deciding on!

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Herb to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

I have the 5 day and read through it a few times, well up to the point I get hungry and have to quit     
f37a71d1_drool.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky