4H Cooking Class

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scarbelly

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2009
Well we had our first class yesterday and what a great group of kids. 6 girls and one lucky boy!! He just doesn't know it yet.

Here is the menu

Beef Turnover Empanadas

Pork San Choy Bau

Chicken Mango Jalopeno Sausage

Pumpkin Spice Cake (Thanks to Squirrel)

Here are some pics of the food. Can not post the kids yet I forgot to get their permission

This is the Pork

bfe5326e_1st4HClass001.jpg

Making the empanadas

b8833793_1st4HClass003.jpg

Cant show the finished pics cause the kids are holding them for their record books

Here is the sausage made into patties with chipotle mayo they also made

2dd7c69c_1st4HClass010.jpg

Here is the cake they made and decorated- we changed the icing to a cream cheese icing

f6203a08_1st4HClass005.jpg

8e7ff15b_1st4HClass007.jpg

We get these kids for a little over 3 hours so we are going at a pretty fast pace with them. Great bunch and willing to do anything we challenge them with.

Thanks for looking  

Reactions: Bearcarver
looks great gary and it's nice to see someone working with today's youth...........thx!

Looks awesome. Its great to be able to give back and guide the youth.

icon_cool.gif

Yes indeed there Gary you are doing a great thing there. Now like Micheal Simon says if you teach them a dish they will eat and if you teach them a technique they will be able to create a thousand dishes. I really like that cake......fat kid you know. 

icon_cool.gif

Yes indeed there Gary you are doing a great thing there. Now like Micheal Simon says if you teach them a dish they will eat and if you teach them a technique they will be able to create a thousand dishes. I really like that cake......fat kid you know. 
Mark we talked about that very thing in class yesterday. We teach them food and knife safety for the first 30 minutes or so. Then we speak about each recipe and what could be changed so they get a sense of how to make it their own. We go around the room and ask for suggestions on how to change each recipe and get some interesting answers. The parents come for the last 20-30 minutes and they get to taste what the kids make. The biggest compliment we get is when the parents tell us how the kids use the recipes at home. It is really rewarding for us.

Hey Cheryl

We got a call from a couple of the moms today and they are making the cake with their kids so it was a big hit

Thanks

That's awesome! I think it's great that you and Mrs. Scar are doing this for the kids. We need more people like you!!!! You should hold on to that wesite for other desserts or baked goods. That lady is amazing. I recently made her homemade butterscotch pudding and it was to die for!!!! Congrats on a job well done my friend!!
Hey Cheryl

We got a call from a couple of the moms today and they are making the cake with their kids so it was a big hit

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky