45 Day Dry Aged Bottom Round Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adam c

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Hi folks,
I've been wanting to try dry aging some beef for a long time and reading other members' threads had me itching for an opportunity. The local grocery store had an 18lb bottom round roast for $3.99 lb and I figured it was worth a shot.

I kept this as simple as possible; a dedicated full size fridge with a small fan in the bottom. Temperature set between 38-40. I didn't make any adjustments for humidity, I just wanted to see what happened naturally.

The meat was placed on a wire rack with 4lbs of salt in a foil pan placed beneath the meat.
20200213_125805.jpg

6 weeks later. Hard rind as expected. No strange odors. Oddly, no mold growth. The white flecks are fat.
20200213_130203.jpg

The inside looked great.
20200213_131942.jpg

20200213_133449.jpg

I ended up with 4lb weight loss from drying and lost another 4lb after trimming.

I cooked up a couple of steaks. Very intense beef flavor. We were very happy with the taste. The small pieces from the flat end came out butter knife tender, but the wider cuts from the middle were still a bit chewy in the center. So, I ended up with 10lbs of steaks at $7.29 lb, which is about what I can get t-bones and rib eyes on sale locally. A technical success, but I'm not sure about the value.

Physically, I saw very little change after the first two weeks, but I wasn't weighing it along the way. If I tried again, I'd probably pull after two weeks to see if the extra time made any difference. The end result- could not ask for a simpler process and I have no fear about trying it again with a better piece of meat.

Attachments

• 20200213_125805.jpg
    20200213_125805.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Will Squared
Last year I dry aged a couple of whole boneless prime rib roasts in UMAi bags for 45 days. I didn't think the difference in flavor was that noticeable or worth what I lost in weight and trimming the tough outer rind. RAY

Reactions: zwiller
Last year I dry aged a couple of whole boneless prime rib roasts in UMAi bags for 45 days. I didn't think the difference in flavor was that noticeable or worth what I lost in weight and trimming the tough outer rind. RAY

The waste factor is my biggest concern. I produced a steak that was almost as good as a t-bone for the same price. If I aged a t-bone roast at $7lb, I might get a steak that's almost as good as a filet mignon for the same price. Why didn't I just by the t-bone?

If I do it again, it won't be fore economy's sake. It would be to produce the best tasting steaks possible, cost aside.

Reactions: zwiller
If cost is no factor you can always order meat like CPB (certified piedmontese beef) online, I doubt it gets much better then that. I'm happy with the meat I get from Costco and Sam's, and I eat too much of it to want to be paying $25 a pound, that'd cut into my liquor money. RAY

Reactions: fivetricks
Haha. The last sentence of your post could make us kindred spirits! That's excellent. I do and think the exact same way

You know what they say, great minds think alike! I just got a molar pulled an hour ago, the doc gave me some antibiotics for the next five days. My wife got online and found that alcohol has no effect on the benefits of antobiotcs, it was just a old wives tale. I'm raising my glass of bourbon to my beloved! RAY

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky