$44,000 Smoker. Probably Sucks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lots of commercial cooks have them. They work well. If I can get time I will try and get pics of one in use tomorrow. It puts out thousands or racks or ribs a year. Another guy I worked with that had a bbq joint using 2
Offset smokers moved to Idaho and opened another restaurant’s using the non trailer model and has a very successful business. They are not shit

This is pretty much gold standard for many bbq restaurants. Expensive but cranks out consistent high quality Q with little hands on. They last for 30+ years. When used ones hit the market they are usually gone instantly if in decent shape.

They probably last TOO long, so the used ones move around and not many get sold new in a given year, driving up the unit price. (Even the nicer BBQ restaurants don't seem above recommissioning a used one.)

It appears the trailer incarnation of this one may have tacked on $10k to the price, but even the fixed ones aren't cheap. If you've ever implemented anything moving in a smoker, you know how friction builds up with time. I can't help but respect the rotisserie systems in these that move continuously for hours on end and yet last for years without down-time.

Reactions: bigfurmn
I’ve been shopping these lately for a venture I may get into. These are good cookers that burn gas/wood, so they turn out very good Que and not much effort on the cooks part. Fast Eddy has a couple models as well from 300# to 500# meat these run purely on pellets. I’m leaning towards them plus the bigger one (500# capacity) is about 27K new. I already have a trailer. These would be excellent for a on location caterer.

It looks like a decent pit. Do they like the end product out of it? $44k is a bit of sticker shock though I must say.... :emoji_dizzy_face::emoji_disappointed:

JC :emoji_cat:
Consistent BBQ and fully automated controls. Pretty much set it and forget it. They also tow it out to the range on range/training days which are once a month so it gets quite a bit of use.

A pellet smoker of any type wont cook as well, and it is real Q

...barbecue cooked on a gas powered rotisserie...
You do put logs and splits into this thing. The gas helps in lighting and maintaining that "firebox". The rest goes into maintaining the temp automatically which frees up time for doing other aspects of the restaurant business. The rotisserie makes loading/unloading easy and helps product uniformity.

Maybe an old-time pit boss and offset can do better. But consistency is always a problem when your business model is based solely on employee expertise. To say nothing of scale-up and growing your business.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky