4 hour or less cooks???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tri-tip is my go-to fast cook. I'm doing tri-tip tomorrow on my GMG davey crocket for the crew at work (local grocery store has choice grade on sale for 2.99/lb). I would consider burgers, splatch chicken, ribs, pork chops, turkey legs, chicken thighs, or chicken wings
You guys out west are killing me. I have to ask for Tri Tip special, and IF they have the piece to cut it from, it goes for 6.99 to 7.99. :th_crybaby2:

You guys out west are killing me. I have to ask for Tri Tip special, and IF they have the piece to cut it from, it goes for 6.99 to 7.99. :th_crybaby2:

That's not a bad price. Tri tip is $9.99-$12.99 a pound in the grocery stores here. $4 a pound bulk at the restaraunt supply for the peeled. $3.50 for non peeled.

I picked up ten $2.99/lb Choice grade 2.5 to 3.5 lb tri tips earlier this year.  They are all gone.  Local grocer has Choice on sale as I type for $5.99/lb.    Another bulk grocer has "Select grade or better" for $2.99/lb untrimmed.  It's been a couple weeks or more since we had tri tip.  Will probably hold out another couple weeks before watching prices to restock the freezer.          

I honestly don't know what beef costs at the store here. We raise our own and I didn't remember in time last time we butchered to get a tri-tip so it probably went to burger. Might pick one up at the store just to see.

After looking over the beer can burgers, it seems to me they and fatties are essentially the same idea, it's just fatties are an all in one deal and beer can burgers are individual. Sort of like meatloaf vs meatballs. Am I correct in this thinking?
O, and today one of the other guys made a fatty and brought it for me to smoke. No idea what's inside but he made this thing out of 4 pounds of sausage. Biggest fatty I've had to smoke ever. We will see how it goes.

Beer can burgers and fatties are pretty much the same, except bcb'ers can be individualized to personal preference. Also you can stuff them with more filling per serving(imho). Example - my wife and kids love mushrooms, and I hate those fungus things that dogs pee on. So when making fatties it's either mushroomed or not mushroomed. With bcb'ers our family can have it both ways. 

I'm preparing food for them, they get what they get dang it. :)

Tonight is smoked duck. I still had two left from last hunting season so time to use them.

My favorite short smoke these days is a tri-tip surrounded by ABT's over a pan of Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. This combo is hard to beat even for longer smoke items. The best way to do it is to move your recliner onto the deck and spend a few hours quietly watching the magic happen through the window in your smoker door while enjoying a couple glasses of smokey whiskey like Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Wow, that's an impressive lineup. That glass probably costs more then the whiskey I generally buy. Hard to be drinking while at work, though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky