4.82lb spare ribs? What did she bring home? Also need a glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

viper

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
First I would like to ask if anyone has seen a rib rack this light? I think this hog ran marathons or something.  More bones than meat.... 

Also, Obviously I will have to tune my cook times a bit due to the smaller rack.  Any ideas where I might end up?  I was thinking about 2/2/1. 

Also, I planned to use my BBQ sauce for my glaze for the last phase of the cook but wondering what you guys usually use?  Should I consider making a specific glaze? 

Those are perfect sized spares I always look for something under 5 pounds myself.  Trim them up and smoke them.  I think the glaze is a good idea I always throw just a little sauce glaze on when I am finishing my ribs.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now that sounds about right to me. I really can't remember what a good slab of spares should weigh.

Spares under 5lbs taste better than those from a megahog, IMHO. I've always cooked spares 3-2-1 at 230°-240°,YMMV.

Glaze with your favorite BBQ sauce, or maple syrup or make one using 1/4 cup apple juice, 1 TBS honey and 2TBS apple jelly, and heat to reduce. Apple goes well with pork.

Right now I am trying to make the decision to foil or not.  I never have in the past because I honestly did not know about it and have never seen a competition guy do it.  I tried it on my pork butts and did not like it.  made my bark soft and prefer a more crispy bark. 

So, can I get my with basting to keep moist and not foil or will that really dry them out?  I do notice that towards the end of the cook, The bark can get pretty thick and black.  Decisions.....

Camera was gone with the wife today so I missed an opportunity for pics but...

I decided against the foiling after my experience with other meats in foiling.  I was happy with my decision.  Not sure if others would agree but I really like some texture on the outside.  I was extremely happy with the bark.  The ribs did not have much marbling and I think caused things to be just a bit tough plus I pulled them just a bit too early because of the lack of fat and some of them pulled off the bone clean, and some left a little meat on the bones.  I think 1 more hour would have nailed it.  I was at 6.5hrs on this one.  They were pulling away and very close but I was really concerned with moisture. 

I will have to work on my technique for testing doneness towards the middle of the rib.  I did not want the fall off the bone on this one. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky