3rd Brisket - Process Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njt124

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I am smoking my 3rd brisket tomorrow, the first was ok, but trying to improve, please critique my overall planned process:

1. 13Lb packer after trim with 1/4 fat cap left
2. Rub with mustard and apply Montreal seasoning to all sides
3. Inject flat with beef broth
4. Start smoker ~6:30PM Saturday and start cook at 7PM at 225F
5. Place brisket on 2nd shelf from top of MES40
6. Run hickory chips in AMZNPS
7. Run water in pan?? (Undecided on this one)
8. Wrap in butcher paper at stall
9. Probe Check for tenderness starting around 195F
10. Once probe tender in flat, pull and let sit in kitchen for 10 to 20 minutes to stop carry over cooking
11. Wrap in foil/towels and place in cooler to eat at ~5PM Sunday (hoping for 2 hour rest minimum)

The last one came out good tasting but fairly dry......the first one was much better. I changed a few variables so not sure what really went wrong on the next one, shoulda left well enough alone I guess.

Any advice or comments to help me get a juicer end product this time?

>Any advice or comments to help me get a juicer end product this time?

The most important thing is to not overcook it. Pull as soon as it passes probe test.

Everything in your plan looks fine. I would typically start a brisket of that size around midnight for a 5PM serving - but I use a pellet grill which cooks faster, and not sure how fast things cook in the MES.

Thanks bregent. I am just tring to leave myself enough time for a decent rest, I feel like I started at 9-10PM the other times for a 4-5PM eat time and was rushed with it.

As far as the probe test goes, it should feel like warm butter in every spot in the flat right? I never really let the brisket stop cooking I think, which may be some of my issue and overcooked it by putting it right into the cooler once I pulled it.

I am smoking my 3rd brisket tomorrow, the first was ok, but trying to improve, please critique my overall planned process:

1. 13Lb packer after trim with 1/4 fat cap left
2. Rub with mustard and apply Montreal seasoning to all sides
3. Inject flat with beef broth
4. Start smoker ~6:30PM Saturday and start cook at 7PM at 225F
5. Place brisket on 2nd shelf from top of MES40
6. Run hickory chips in AMZNPS
7. Run water in pan?? (Undecided on this one)
8. Wrap in butcher paper at stall
9. Probe Check for tenderness starting around 195F
10. Once probe tender in flat, pull and let sit in kitchen for 10 to 20 minutes to stop carry over cooking
11. Wrap in foil/towels and place in cooler to eat at ~5PM Sunday (hoping for 2 hour rest minimum)

The last one came out good tasting but fairly dry......the first one was much better. I changed a few variables so not sure what really went wrong on the next one, shoulda left well enough alone I guess.

Any advice or comments to help me get a juicer end product this time?

- CHIPS in the AMZNPS? NO... you need to use pellets!
- make sure drippings don't land on the pellets and put them out
- You don't need water in the MES
- I usually monitor the IT waiting for it to drop down to around 185º to stop carry over cooking.

Thanks schlotz I meant pellets there.....I was up in the air on water and didnt use it the first or 2nd time so I wont tomorrow either....that is the first I've heard a temperature to get down to before letting rest....thank you

And there definitely will be beer!

Just something I've been doing. It sometimes matches up with a 10-15 min break on the counter. MES has plenty of moisture due to its design so water frankly is never needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky