3D Printed Chef's Choice slicer "flap killer" modification

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SLA and FDM printing are wildly different. Parts on an SLA machine can end up with completely smooth surfaces and virtually no visible layer lines because they can get down to insanely high resolution. The issue with SLA is that the parts are usually pretty brittle, and the resin is expensive. I have printed the same parts on both on occasion and the SLA always wins over my printer, visually.

That said, both our printers are capable of almost perfectly matching prints from some of the higher end printers, but they require tweaked slicer settings and mods to stabilize the frame, tweaked jerk and acceleration settings, proper calibration of your extruder, tweaked belt tension, perfectly trammed frame, and things like that.

That was a good idea heating it up to get a better fit!
I don't print decorative items, but only do functional parts, so if SLA isn't as strong, then I wouldn't be inetested.

I taught myself Fusion 360 (a major struggle, at my age, but I finally "got it") and have designed all sorts of stupid parts for fixing things around the house, including some items that have been partially broken since the 1970s. Here's a link to some of the parts I've designed:

https://www.thingiverse.com/johnmeyer/designs

Heck yeah I browsed your stuff earlier, pretty impressive designs, you've done really well with Fusion 360! I know a lot of people try that out and get overwhelmed and quit learning. I've never personally used it but I hear a lot of good things about how powerful it is.

Thought it was really funny that you had a mod of the airpod keychain thing, but I also remixed it a while back. Weird coincidence! Here's mine! I have a lot of other stuff I no longer put on there or took off because people kept ignoring my licences and selling the prints, competing with my sales lol

https://www.thingiverse.com/PonzLL/designs

Heck yeah I browsed your stuff earlier, pretty impressive designs, you've done really well with Fusion 360! I know a lot of people try that out and get overwhelmed and quit learning. I've never personally used it but I hear a lot of good things about how powerful it is.

Thought it was really funny that you had a mod of the airpod keychain thing, but I also remixed it a while back. Weird coincidence! Here's mine! I have a lot of other stuff I no longer put on there or took off because people kept ignoring my licences and selling the prints, competing with my sales lol

https://www.thingiverse.com/PonzLL/designs
I don't own these and instead did the design for my daughter's father-in-law. I didn't know there was a reset button on the outside. Yikes! I'd better re-do my design.

Interesting drain rack for all your aquarium test kit vials. When I used to keep fish, I just stuffed them back in their box, with the bottles. They did get a little crusty over time.

I actually have a bunch of different types of aquarium stuff I sell elsewhere, drains, storage racks, testing stations, plant holders, gravel vac stuff. Basically anything I thought would make my life easier I designed. Pays for all my other hobbies! You should consider doing the same, you clearly have the skills to design whatever you can imagine!

I actually have a bunch of different types of aquarium stuff I sell elsewhere, drains, storage racks, testing stations, plant holders, gravel vac stuff. Basically anything I thought would make my life easier I designed. Pays for all my other hobbies! You should consider doing the same, you clearly have the skills to design whatever you can imagine!
I had as many as four aquariums when I was young. All freshwater. I still have one that I got back in 1965. I resurrected it twenty-five years ago when the kids were young, but they never had any interest in it, and didn't want to come close to it when it was time to clean it.

Perhaps, as I approach my dotage, I'll get it back out and start over again.

After almost eighteen iterations, I finally have a part which works exactly as I'd hoped. Here's a link to the 3D print and description:

"Flap Killer"

Several people asked if the part would stay in place based only on friction, and while it initially did, it eventually would start to come loose. I originally tried to solve this by adding two "nibs" that fit under the nylon runner, but couldn't install the part. After having the part come loose, I re-visted this idea, but only put a nib on one side. This solved the problem.

Yesterday I sliced a ham into dozens of paper-thin slices and did not get any flap whatsoever, and did not have to re-seat the part. Also, using a shim which I 3D printed, which fits under the knob, I no longer have to keep re-adjusting the slice thickness, another weakness of the Chef's Choice design.

The slicer now works perfectly.

Oh yes, I purchased some PETG filament, so the part is now made out of the same plastic used for water bottles and therefore totally food safe.

38bc0dcec10d6999ed23b858c71fa368_preview_featured.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
After almost eighteen iterations, I finally have a part which works exactly as I'd hoped. Here's a link to the 3D print and description:

"Flap Killer"

Several people asked if the part would stay in place based only on friction, and while it initially did, it eventually would start to come loose. I originally tried to solve this by adding two "nibs" that fit under the nylon runner, but couldn't install the part. After having the part come loose, I re-visted this idea, but only put a nib on one side. This solved the problem.

Yesterday I sliced a ham into dozens of paper-thin slices and did not get any flap whatsoever, and did not have to re-seat the part. Also, using a shim which I 3D printed, which fits under the knob, I no longer have to keep re-adjusting the slice thickness, another weakness of the Chef's Choice design.

The slicer now works perfectly.

Oh yes, I purchased some PETG filament, so the part is now made out of the same plastic used for water bottles and therefore totally food safe.

38bc0dcec10d6999ed23b858c71fa368_preview_featured.jpg

Hey John, that's pretty damn slick. Flap has been my biggest complaint with my slicer. Let me know if you ever decide to make, and sell these.

Nice work! The reason 3d printed objects aren't considered food safe regardless of the plastic used is because the small gaps between layers trap bacteria and bits of food and can't be cleaned properly.

That said, I still use my own printed parts for food contact at times as well. Hasn't killed me yet!

Nice work! The reason 3d printed objects aren't considered food safe regardless of the plastic used is because the small gaps between layers trap bacteria and bits of food and can't be cleaned properly.

That said, I still use my own printed parts for food contact at times as well. Hasn't killed me yet!
Yeah, I read about the "gap" problem. When I switched to PETG I did get underextrusion until I calibrated my printer for the new material, and that underextrusion meant that the lines between layers were a little larger. With either this problem, or with the wrong slicer settings, you can get pretty lousy adhesion between layers, and I can see how stuff could get in there. However, with a proper print and strong layers, I think that is pretty unlikely to cause a problem, and is really no different than gaps and holes in plastic parts created with injection molding or other conventional methods.

I too am not worried.

Reactions: ponzLL
In case anyone else wants one of these, you can have John's design printed from one of the print vendors linked to Thingiverse. I used Print A Thing. The total item cost was $15, which breaks down to $5 for the item, $5 for setup, and $5 for shipping. The item was delivered 5 days after ordering. The entire ordering process is super easy.

Unfortunately for me, I have a model 630 slicer, which has a different sled than the 615, so the part won't work for me. If anyone wants the one I have, and wants to pay for shipping + a few $$ let me know. I had it printed in PLA Clear.

flapkiller.jpg

Wow. I thought that the 3D printer makes some small details. But I didn't think they made such big details. I thought 3D printers couldn't do that. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky