32in h x 18in 33 gal. build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coreyjh

Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Florida
Hello everyone!

Had some questions regarding placement of a few things on this smoker.  This is my first build and I've been doing a lot of planning and researching to make sure I get this right before I go to butchering this tank.  So far this is what I have drawn up.  I am by no means a professional so take it for what it is haha!  Biggest issue I am having is I want to make sure I make the cuts right to attach the firebox when that time comes around.  Where the baffle attaches, I am assuming the very top of the fire box or right above it?  If so I would have to recalculate some measurements.  Any input would be great!

33x231 = 7623 cu in..

31 sq in openings..  I would use 40+ inches on such a small smoker..  the surface area to volume makes for a very high resistance to air flow..

~3000 cu in FB = 16 x 14 x 14   You need the FB wider than the tank....  attach the RF plate to the top of the FB....

Make the RF plate 15" wide and weld to the top of the FB..  leave a 5" gap at the end of the RF plate..

Segment height of the half moon...  15"wide x 4.5" high  to take into account the thickness of the top of the FB and thickness of the metal of the Cook Chamber...

The exhaust stack I would make 4" and have it extend 30" above the CC..

Small patio smoker like this need some numbers exaggerated....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/reverse-flow-smoker-how-to-calculate-build-tutorial

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,

I'll rework the drawing based on that.  I used a simple calculator online but figured I would do more research first and get some other opinions on it before I got to chopping.  Yea it's a small build, got a bigger tank available but this will be some good practice.

I'll keep updated with the project as things move along.

It's a perfect size for 3-4 people...   a few chickens.. maybe a turkey or 2...  a few racks of ribs....     You will enjoy it.....  promise...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky