321 pork ribs tomorrow.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nope, is meat side down preferred method?
Will have a go at that way next time if it is.
Yes. Part of the final time (the 3rd number when cooking ribs 'by the number') is to reset the bark and/or to glaze a sauce if you use it. On this rack of BB ribs, I wrapped about an hour, then flipped them meat up, and just made a boat with the foil. This is maybe 20 minutes after the flip, and the bark has re-set. I'm not a sauce guy, but now would be a good time to add sauce and let it glaze for 5 or 10 minutes.
K04Nw9g.jpg

Yes. Part of the final time (the 3rd number when cooking ribs 'by the number') is to reset the bark and/or to glaze a sauce if you use it. On this rack of BB ribs, I wrapped about an hour, then flipped them meat up, and just made a boat with the foil. This is maybe 20 minutes after the flip, and the bark has re-set. I'm not a sauce guy, but now would be a good time to add sauce and let it glaze for 5 or 10 minutes.
View attachment 638360
Will keep that in mind for next time

I used to “ftc” (foil/towel/cooler) but now I rewrap in butchers paper, then foil, then towel and into the cooler for at least an hour but up to 4 hours or so if needed to hold until dinner.

So at end of time, but the IT is not even close to 160.. so longer hotter Temps?

Do you let rest after third step?
You can.... but bear in mind that ribs cool down pretty fast, and once sliced even faster.

One tip on slicing, brush some sauce on your cutting board, then place the ribs meat down. Now you can see the bones easier and can adjust your knife angle to make more even slices.

Reactions: 912smoker and tbern
Cool, they are tender just not reading internal temp.. will add some fuel.

Thank you all for the tips

Reactions: JLeonard
Dang...You guys with the pics are making me crave some ribs! And I still got 5 12hr shifts before im off a day!
Jim

• Wow
Reactions: Deezel13
If your at 160 after the first two hours, your close to wrapping. I wouldn’t pay as much attention to temp at that point as to what you see and feel. They won’t be close to done yet after two hours. But that’s the point to wrap if…your color is good, and some bark has developed. As far as done, I’m looking for some pull back on the bones, the ribs start to break somewhere in the middle when picked up with tongs from the end, and the collagens give under the finger test. That’s going to be around 200-203.

Some finished photos.
Mixed feelings.. in a house of 7 so far 3 no like and 2 like..

Smokey flavour not for everyone I suppose..

Attachments

• 20220723_145052.jpg
    20220723_145052.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220723_145251.jpg
    20220723_145251.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Yup, they were done.. probably should pulled off sooner tbh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky