3 mil vs 4 mil vacuum bags

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beaverdam213

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 27, 2019
Oregon
In the last year I killed a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and one from Cabella’s. I just bought a chamber sealer. I see bags online in different thicknesses. I bought a bunch of 3 mil bags but wondered what you peeps recommend?...

At these thicknesses, each mil (.001") makes a big difference in strength. And the bigger the bag, the more strength you typically need. I'd say .003" is good for up to a couple quarts (at least) and .004" for larger.

I've had failures with the 3 mil bags. Be it material or usage. I don't know. But I use 4 mil bags only now. And the only failures I've had since then was caused by overhandling when I was moving things to the new freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky