3-4 year old apple wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timmyt509

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
I was wondering if wood being this old is still good to use? Not sure if there would be any flavor in it so I am asking you guys. Thanks.

As long as there isn't any dry rot or anything it should be perfect! You want dry seasoned wood for smoking, if you try to use green unseasoned wood it will create creasote and taste nasty.

icon_cool.gif

I would think so but if you don't want to use it I'll send you my address and I will try all that you want me too.

I bet it would work great, but make sure there's no mold or mildew on it

Todd

Its been my experience on two occasions that if its bad your gonna smell it for sure.

Both times it happened to me, it smelled like a cross between mesquite and horse sh!t burning. I don't have a clue why this was but when the chunks were removed and oak loaded the smell was gone. Two different batch's of wood as well.

Good Luck and dont forget if it stinks don't stand there and keep smelling it like we did. It won't get any better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky