3:30 Saturday morning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Glenn

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Knoxville, Tenn
Here it is. 3:30 Saturday morning, 25 degrees outside and I just put a 19lb brisket on the smoker. Got up at 3:00 to warm up the Pit Boss gasser. In 20 minutes it was up to 285 so I turned down the burner, added the meat and the amnps tray full of hickory sawdust. Temp is steady at 270 so I will turn it down a little to get it steady around 240. Pictures and more later.

It sounds good but my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail lol

6:40 now. What are all you people doing up at this time of the day?
Usually up by 4 or so anyway. Used to burn the candle at both ends, but just one now.
Have successfully debunked the adage “early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise”

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Drinking some java and then head out pheasant hunting. Hunting season winding down so need to take advantage.
Good luck with brisket. Sounds like you got a good plan going.

I've been retired for 14 years. I get up early, and then go back to bed! Watching. RAY

I don't get up before 8 unless I have something special to do, like getting a brisket on. This cook is giving me fits. I always go by my inkbird for both pit temp and meat temp even though the built in thermometer checks within 5 degrees in boiling water, just very slow to react so I don't pay any attention to it. The pit temp seemed to settle about 250 so I left it there. After a few hours I put in the meat probes. The meat seemed not as hot as I thought it should be so I bumped the pit to about 270. The meat got to about 150 and stayed there for hours. Thinking this stall is lasting to long I bumped up the temp to 290. Just happened to look at the door thermometer and it read 210, so I added another ink bird probe and cranked the gas to max. Now the original probe read 343 and the added probe reads 264 which agrees with the door thermometer. Apparently my first probe has been reading 60 to 80 degrees high. After 131/2 hours the meat is 165. I have company coming at 7:30 for supper and don't think this is going to get done. Could I move to the oven and finish at 300 degrees?

I don't get up before 8 unless I have something special to do, like getting a brisket on. This cook is giving me fits. I always go by my inkbird for both pit temp and meat temp even though the built in thermometer checks within 5 degrees in boiling water, just very slow to react so I don't pay any attention to it. The pit temp seemed to settle about 250 so I left it there. After a few hours I put in the meat probes. The meat seemed not as hot as I thought it should be so I bumped the pit to about 270. The meat got to about 150 and stayed there for hours. Thinking this stall is lasting to long I bumped up the temp to 290. Just happened to look at the door thermometer and it read 210, so I added another ink bird probe and cranked the gas to max. Now the original probe read 343 and the added probe reads 264 which agrees with the door thermometer. Apparently my first probe has been reading 60 to 80 degrees high. After 131/2 hours the meat is 165. I have company coming at 7:30 for supper and don't think this is going to get done. Could I move to the oven and finish at 300 degrees?

Sure!!!
You got enough smoke on it by now!

Git 'er Duuuun!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky