3-2-1 ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
mdgoos, looks good - keep the pics coming. Remember to use the 3-2-1 as a guide line, watch your meat for pulling from the bone a 1/4" or so then wrap in foil.. You're gonna be a hit at your house tonight!

Keep smokin

Here are pics after "3"
e7df5b89_vbattach11512.jpg

b693d198_vbattach11511.jpg

ee0ad5d2_vbattach11367.jpg

f93453f6_vbattach11366.jpg

099dd1c8_vbattach11231.jpg

f2b73c74_vbattach11230.jpg

113bdcfe_vbattach11092.jpg

7eb16b80_vbattach11091.jpg

A pitmaster who I respect recommends leaving the membrane on the ribs, he says the membrane helps lock in the moisture.

I've done them both ways, and honestly I couldn't tell a difference in rib moisture with or without the membrane. But it is chewy and the ribs are easier to eat without it there.

3-2-1 is idiot-proof, its hard to make BAD ribs using this method.

Many people think ribs should fall of the bone.  If you are cooking for those people the 3-2-1 method will work fine.  If you want to make a better rib, you will need to experiment and modify the 3-2-1 method. Lots of folks here do not foil at all.  I am not a believer in rules, other than food safety, so I would experiment and find out what you and your family enjoy and go with that.

Good luck and good smoking.

exactly all i cook are backs and 6 hours is a long time for me to cook them, i cook 2 hours on then  wrap for 2 hours

JohnSWA,
One thing to keep in mind ... the 3-2-1 is a guideline at best, a good one, but never the less a guideline. Especially if you are doing baby backs. Backs are typically a little less meaty than the spares, so tend to be "done" a little sooner. Personally, I usually cut the 3-2-1 down to about 2.5-1.5-1 when I do backs.

Sounds like you made out OK though .... good job

Remember that 3-2-1 is a guide and not a rule.  Depending on your temp and cooking environment, you may end up being done in more or less time.  BBQ is done when it's done, right?

My own experience has been that unless your in a BBQ contest the majority of people like fall off the bone ribs. My wife is one of them, and so are all of our friends. I have done spares 6 hours with no foil and they are delicious, and yes they have some pull when you bite into them, but everybody here likes them falling off the bone better, so that's how I do them. I adjust the 3-2-1 a little sometimes & a happy medium for us seems to be 3.5-1.5-1. As everybody has said here the 3-2-1 is just an estimate. I think we all tweek it somewhat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky