3-2-1 Temps Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 3, 2008
Far Northern California
Hi all,

In reading and researching around the site I am realizing that quoted times are estimates and the best (and safest) way to cook is to use temperature cues. With that in mind, at what temperatures would one move to the 2 and 1 of the 3-2-1 method? Would the temps be the same for spares, baby backs, and country style ribs? Also, assuming that you are smoking a large enough piece of meat to stick a remote probe in, does anyone use a temp probe during the foil phase?

Thanks.

Dave

I think he's looking for "internal" temps on the ribs. I've wondered this myself after reading quite a few posts on ribs. With what little cooking knowledge I retained after a 13 yr. stint in a restaurant, I don't think the internal temp on baby backs or spares is as much of a factor as following the 3-2-1 method while cooking in the 225-250* range. On "boneless" or "country style" ribs, I would lean towards cooking them more like a small boston butt.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.....I'm just offering up my ideas here......
wink.gif

Eric

I find it almost impossible to get a good internal reading on ribs, there just isn't enough meat for the probe. With me ribs are a look and feel kind of thing. For "doneness" (is that a word?) watch for the meat to pull back along the bone about a quarter inch or so. For the "2" stage I generally lift a rack with tongs and look for a good bend but not quite to the point were they break apart. I start check around the 2 1/2 hour mark. (remember I said this was a look and feel process). The wrapping steams the ribs to tenderize them, for spares it's pretty much 2 hours and backs maybe 1 1/2. The ribs should be pretty much done by now, the final "1" is to firm them back up and maybe some finishing sauce.
I know this doesn't sound like much help, but the more you cook ribs the more this will make sense and the easier it becomes.

Dave, the information that Ron gave you for 3-2-1 ribs is spot on. The meat pulling back from the cut side of the rib is your clue to foil 'em. After a while you'll develope the knack to feel when they are ready.

Enjoy!

Thanks, guys. The use of visual cues makes sense since it is tough to probe a true rib. Okay, so what cues should I look for on the country style ribs -- or what temperature cues if these are available?

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky