3-2-1 method on beef back ribs????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bk2fla

Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
I'm looking to smoke some beef back ribs this weekend any tips? Recipes? How long do I leave them on? Temp? Thanks in advance

Craig thanks for the reminder of the search tool it actually gave me 1800 pages
Now next question I was reading and the 3-2-1 method was mentioned a lot so taking your advice I used the "handy dandy" search tool and read up on it and I just want to make sure that is the way to go

Thanks
Matt

I know the 321 method is great on pork back ribs but you may want to use a thermo on beef ribs , Not sure, as i don't cook them , but  i know that they don't cook the same as pork.

Probably wouldn't need to cook beef ribs for 6 hours, especially if you like them rare to med. rare. As eman has said, I think the temp probe is the way to go. 

I never tried Beef Ribs any other way but 3-2-1 at 225˚/230˚.

My thoughts:

I love Medium-rare beef, but I would think since there is a huge amount of fat on the ribs, it would be better to be more well done, like 3-2-1 gets you to. Plus 3-2-1 makes them around fall off the bone, the way I like my ribs.

I always said about steak----It would be nice if you could make the meat med-rare, and the fat well done, so I guess that's part of my thinking here.

Sometimes I used to make a bone-in steak on the grill to med-rare. Then cut the meat off & put the fatty bone back on the grill to get what was left well done & nice and bubbly.  MMMmmmm.............

Bear

I always said about steak----It would be nice if you could make the meat med-rare, and the fat well done, so I guess that's part of my thinking here.

Sometimes I used to make a bone-in steak on the grill to med-rare. Then cut the meat off & put the fatty bone back on the grill to get what was left well done & nice and bubbly.  MMMmmmm.........

Bear
This why I love the BGE. Crank it up to 600-700 and put the steaks on for a few minutes on each side then close the vents for a few minutes.

Crusty outside..still mooing inside.

Dang.. now I have to go to the store.

Have a great day!!

Craig

ok guys i think i'm going with the 3-2-1 this time around will be posting pics of before and after let me make sure i got it right..3 hours  bone side down? 2 hours wrappeed in foil w/apple juice and keep foil "tented" and 1 hour unwrapped bone side up?....all with the temp @ 225-230

ok guys i think i'm going with the 3-2-1 this time around will be posting pics of before and after let me make sure i got it right..3 hours  bone side down? 2 hours wrappeed in foil w/apple juice and keep foil "tented" and 1 hour unwrapped bone side up?....all with the temp @ 225-230
sounds good to me... you are not limited to just apple juice in the foil... you can add whatever... bourbon, different fruit juice, brown sugar, honey, beer... anything... or combos of anything... good luck my friend!

I would do the unwrapped step  #3 bone side down too. Doesn't mean you have to.

Can't wait for the Qview!

Bear

You got it BK!

I would do the unwrapped step  #3 bone side down too. Doesn't mean you have to.

Can't wait for the Qview!

Bear
Yup... I agree with Bear! Bone side down for #3... I didnt even catch that... (i failed reading comprehension LOL)... Plus this helps if you decide to do some wet

I would suggest 3-2-1 the first time then play with the times till you get it just the way you like them. Dang all that means your gonna have ribs more often let me know if ya need help eating them
biggrin.gif

Reactions: bk2fla
OK Bear next time I do beef ribs I'll try it 3-2-1. It's just that the beef ribs around here have so little meat on them, I might have to cut that to 2-2-1. I like the steak idea too.

My thoughts:

I love Medium-rare beef, but I would think since there is a huge amount of fat on the ribs, it would be better to be more well done, like 3-2-1 gets you to. Plus 3-2-1 makes them around fall off the bone, the way I like my ribs.

Sometimes I used to make a bone-in steak on the grill to med-rare. Then cut the meat off & put the fatty bone back on the grill to get what was left well done & nice and bubbly.  MMMmmmm.............

Bear

Last edited:
OK Bear next time I do beef ribs I'll try it 3-2-1. It's just that the beef ribs around here have so little meat on them, I might have to cut that to 2-2-1. I like the steak idea too.

My thoughts:

Bear
Hmmm, didn't think of that---They usually have pretty much meat on them around here.

Stand back when you put that fatty bone back on the grill.

I love rare & med/rare meat, but I like my fat well done!

Bear

C'mon Mark--That's not fair!

I think we have to call those "small' or "medium" sized Prime Ribs!!!!

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Now to me it all depends on the ribs. If you get some regular beef ribs from like Wally World then I would use the 3-2-1 method. Then if you get some dino bones like theses

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/102323/another-set-of-dino-bones-with-some-q-view  

Then I would smoke them using a probe thermo and take them to maybe 145°ish and you'll really like-um. Believe me.

icon_eek.gif
WOW... I havent seen those around here... Might have to look at some local butchers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky