2nd UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Charcoal Chump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had a week off work with no plans so I decided to build a 2nd UDS. I made a few small changes from my first one and just from doing the seasoning it seems to work a little better. I then decided to put it up for sale on Kijiji but if I don't sell it I won't be disappointed. If it doesn't sell by the weekend I will take the add down and use it to smoke some chickens while I use my older one to smoke some salmon.
IMG_5976.JPG
IMG_5973.JPG
IMG_5982.JPG

I think they look good together...lol

Looks awesome!
What changes that you made, do you think made the difference in how it runs?

Looks awesome!
What changes that you made, do you think made the difference in how it runs?

Hey mattkm, I am only guessing as all I have done was the seasoning but the difference is the air intakes are direct instead of using the extension pipes and also I have 1 larger exhaust and not 4 smaller ones.
In my backyard the wind seems to swirl a lot so the smoker gets hit from all sides and having the 4 smaller 90 degree exhausts I found that on windier days it would blow in the exhausts and lower the temp for a short period.
You can see what I'm talking about in the last photo, the yellow pipes on the black drum are the intakes, also I think that having the intakes lowed will make it easier to protect them from the wind as well. This is really all just a theory right now I won't really know until I get both of them running at the same time.
But during the seasoning I used my old fire basket which is about the same size and it was less then half full and as a test I let it run all night and when I woke up the temp was very close to what it was when I left it, and I had it running for almost 19 hours.

Nice builds, and I'm sure it will sell pretty quickly.

Chris

SdLia0f.jpg

I was wondering if it was the different exhausts, or, I've also read that some people find the higher intake extensions also make a difference. My uds is the one on the left, I've used it for about 4 years. The one on the right is one that I built a friend of mine last summer. Mine has a weber lid, with only the weber exhaust on it, when I seasoned the one on the right, it worked so much better, the temp levelled out easier than mine, and stayed more consistent. I've got used to mine over the time I used it, and it works good, but this new one was so much more user friendly right off the bat. I wondered if my Weber exhaust just wasn't enough. I've since found another of the round exhaust plate things off another Weber, and am going to install it on my lid, to double the exhaust and see if that works better. I also have a small extension on my intake, it might make a difference too?
Did you make the exhaust on the new one?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky