• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

2nd Smoking attempt troubles

fantn

Joined Dec 2, 2010
Having trouble with my 2nd Smoking attempt with Masterbuilt XL Smoker.

Details:

Temperature control is checked by MAverick ET-73 Redi-Check

Smoke 1 in November on day in temperature in 50~ 60 F

Kept smoker temperature in Nov at 250 to 265. 3 fatties took 4 hours and pre-cooked  9lb ham took 8 hrs both pulled at 165 Degrees internal temperature.

Smoke 2 Today Temp is in 30 F.

Only modification: Using dutch oven to hold wood chips above propane burner and raised it 1/4inch highe than last time where dutch oven was barely above burner opener.

Attempting 3 fatties, 2 store bought smoked sausages, and a 7 lb brisket.

Temperature is being kept at 255~275

Took smoked sausage off after 2.5 hours. Not a big concern.

Fatties are currently at internal temp of 159F at 6.5 hrs

Brisket is on top shelf with internal temerature around 140F also at 6.5 hours.

Moved temperature gauge from top shelf to middle shelf with Fatties with no difference.

I also pulled temperature probes and place in boiling water and they seem to be reading properly (200~210F).

Any ideas or suggestions or is within normal range?

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Having trouble with my 2nd Smoking attempt with Masterbuilt XL Smoker.

Details:

Temperature control is checked by MAverick ET-73 Redi-Check

Smoke 1 in November on day in temperature in 50~ 60 F

Kept smoker temperature in Nov at 250 to 265. 3 fatties took 4 hours and pre-cooked  9lb ham took 8 hrs both pulled at 165 Degrees internal temperature.

Smoke 2 Today Temp is in 30 F.

Only modification: Using dutch oven to hold wood chips above propane burner and raised it 1/4inch highe than last time where dutch oven was barely above burner opener.

Attempting 3 fatties, 2 store bought smoked sausages, and a 7 lb brisket.

Temperature is being kept at 255~275

Took smoked sausage off after 2.5 hours. Not a big concern.

Fatties are currently at internal temp of 159F at 6.5 hrs

Brisket is on top shelf with internal temerature around 140F also at 6.5 hours.

This one scares me. How long have you had the probe in and when did it hit the 140 mark?  

Moved temperature gauge from top shelf to middle shelf with Fatties with no difference.

I also pulled temperature probes and place in boiling water and they seem to be reading properly (200~210F).

Any ideas or suggestions or is within normal range?

fantn

Joined Dec 2, 2010
Moved the probe to fatties for short term Fatties pulled at 6.75 hrs with temp 162 to 165 F. Brisket is now at 151F at 6.75 hrs.

fantn

Joined Dec 2, 2010
Well threw in the towel at 9 hours and Brisket at 145 to 150 F. Started reading the danger zone post in the forum and don't think I made it to 140F in time. Will try to figure out the issues before the next brisket and will probably do more smokes with less expensive items to boot.

Temperature control? I think it is OK but will recheck the termometers.

Lower Dutch oven to location of first smoke since it was only changepoint? only 1/4 inch higher?

It was cooler today but no siginificant wind. Mid 30s?

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

I'm thinking that you need to test that thermo meter. Then go out tomorrow and buy another one.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Your therm should be reading 212-214 in boiling water. Get a new one.

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
I can't find his location.  If he is at high altitude, water will boil below 212. His other problems are interesting.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Wow thanks, I didn't know that. You learn something here everyday.

I can't find his location.  If he is at high altitude, water will boil below 212. His other problems are interesting.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.