2nd Sausage--Summer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottma

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Massachusetts
Trying out my first summer sausage.  Started with the LEM cured summer sausage kit that comes with 4 packs of seasoning with a packet of cure for each one as well as 12" by 1.5" non-edible fibrous casings. The packs get mixed with 5lbs of meat.

I used 3.5lbs of 80/20 ground beef and 1.5 lbs of ground pork.

Dissolved the seasoning and cure with 5oz of warm water.

Mixed well it was very tacky and almost pulled off my gloves.

I let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and then stuffed.

My plan tomorrow is to set my MES to 120 and cook for 2 hours to dry it out then bump the heat to 140 with smoke for 2 hours and then bump the temp 10 degrees every hourl going no higher than 170 to an IT of 152.   I was going to put enough pellets in the amps to last about 4-5 hours.  

Does that sound right?

Thanks,

scott

Thanks for the reply...I'll just fill up the tray with pellets just to be safe and have enough smoke.

Dang it man that looks good so far!!! Can't wait for the money shot. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Off to a good start. I usually run 6-8 hours of smoke when I do mine.

Dang it man that looks good so far!!! Can't wait for the money shot. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Thanks guys.  I'm looking forward to the end results. 

So they have been in for almost 7 hours and are at an IT of 124.  

Do any of you flip them and hang in the opposite direction while cooking?

Looking good so far,,,,,, Let them ride,,, just check each one for temp before pulling them

If your looking your not cooking LOL I know it's hard not to look,, I do it all the time LOL 

DS

Looking good so far,,,,,, Let them ride,,, just check each one for temp before pulling them

If your looking your not cooking LOL I know it's hard not to look,, I do it all the time LOL 

DS
Thanks.  LOL I had to squeak in one peak...HAHA

Nice looking chubs there.

icon14.gif

Thanks!!

Question...the one with the probe has been at 124 for almost 2 hours....does that make sense?  I have the smoker temp at 170.

Thanks!!

Question...the one with the probe has been at 124 for almost 2 hours....does that make sense?  I have the smoker temp at 170.
The ends of the probe do the readings. Fat can cavitate near the ends and give false readings. Move the probe to a new spot.

Careful with the temp so you dont have a fat-out

So I moved it to another and used my instant read and I'm at 126 on both.  I guess its just taking way longer than I thought it would.  I just set the alarm on my maverick for 152 and i'll let it ride.  Temp is at 165.

SM, Have patience and don't be tempted to bump your temp any higher than 170. Looking good so far !
Yep, don't push things. I've had smokes go 12 hours at times to hit 152°. Like everything with smoking... it's done when it's done.
I know..I know..LOL I'm coming up on 11 hours and just hit 135.  Smoker temp is staying right around 160.  Smokes out so i closed up the vents to keep the temp more steady. 

Got a pot of water dialed in to 160 degrees they're taking forever and i don't have all night.  14 hours in the smoker and i was at 138 IT.  30 minutes now in the water and I'm up to 152.  

Into an ice bath till 100

Hanging out in the fridge overnight.

Is the loosening of the casing from not packing them tight enough?  They held a good shape other than the air in there.

Money shots tomorrow. 

Scott

Last edited:

Is the loosening of the casing from not packing them tight enough?  They held a good shape other than the air in there.

Money shots tomorrow. 

Scott
Scott, Did you allow the SS to bloom after the cold water bath?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky