2nd pork butt smoke on new MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mbatemantx

Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Houston, TX
So I did a pork butt a few weeks ago, only took it to 170, it didn't fall off the bone but still tasted really good.  So forward a few weeks and my daughter wants pulled pork for her birthday party.  This time I wanted to get to the magic 200-205.  I had 2 butts each about 5-6 lbs.  Got one to 195 about an hour before the party was to start and left the other one on for a few more hours.  I think next time I will plan 2 hours per pound to hit 200-205 IT.  I did pan and foil at 165 IT.  Smoker was about 235. 

Both were a hit and well liked.  Have some left over for making chili this weekend.

Very nice indeed....
Looks-Great.gif

Thanks for all the compliments!

For this smoke I used my AMNPS with the pitmaster blend I got with it.  The smoke before I used some pellets I had gotten from the local sporting goods store Academy.  They are a combination of oak and apple.  Both seem to work well

I have to agree that I really like the combination of the MES and the AMNPS.  It makes it super easy and you don't need to baby sit it.  I am starting to form the opinion that to get good BBQ is not to hard.  I think that to get great BBQ may require more work and different equipment.  For my purpose I am happy with good BBQ.  Being in Texas if I want great, it's about a 90 minute drive to some of the top places in Texas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky