2nd batch in the dehydrator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rob g

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Ontario, Canada
My 2nd attempt is pork loin jerky. I scored 25.75lb of loin for just under $1/lb at the local grocery store. As it was nearing its best before date i wanted it all processed now. Aggressive trimming brought it down to about 16lb in the marinade. I bunched the meat closer together this time, most of it touching. I was able to get everything onto 7-2/3 trays which surprised me. I expected to do a second run.

I've got: 5lb Malaysian pork, 5lb Maple syrup, 2lb Teriyaki, 4lb chile lime. All the recipes came from the Jerkyholic site.

A couple things I did different this time:
- I just dumped the marinade into the zip lock bags, sealed and squished it around. When I was taking the meat out of the bag for the trays I found some still stuck together. Next time I will go back to dipping the individual pieces into the marinade as I put the meat into the bag and then pour the leftovers in on top.
- My first batch of jerky was cut by the butcher so it was consistent thickness. This time I was the butcher and the meat is anything but consistent. I put the meat into the freezer just in a grocery bag to stiffen up before cutting. This wasn't sufficient. Some was more frozen than the rest. It didn't help my slicing. Next time I will lay it out on a tray so it freezes a little more even.
- Due to my inconsistent slicing I expect 8m going to have to rescue the thinner pieces as they finish and let the fat ones have more time.
- I took the meat directly out of the marinade bag and on to the drying tray. Last time I blotted the excess marinade with paper towels both sides. I'm waiting for the end product before deciding which way comes out better. I know my clean-up is going to be more today.
DSC_0006.JPG

Reactions: SonnyE
Very nice. Looking forward to results

This time I was the butcher and the meat is anything but consistent.

LOL! That is quite alright Rob!
Back in the history of jerky, they didn't have slicers either. ;)
But I can easily see your need for one if this keeps up.
I got a cheap one my Daughter gave me. I took it apart, cleaned it really good with Clorox spray cleaner, and touched up the glade with my diamond sharpener. Cuts like a daham now!
Sure, I'd like to have a fancy slicer. But I can get by just fine with my third hand one. ;)
You might like to get a BIG butchers knife for your slicin. I love mine.
Between a big knife, and an electric slicer, you'll have a lot of fun filling your dehydrator.

I look forward to your results and opinion of jerked pork. :D

I have a couple of good knives for boning and general use and a 12" slicing knife I use for brisket. I used the 8" chef knife for slicing the pork where I should have probably used the brisket knife. Both are nice and sharp. Part of my issue was not getting the meat stiffened up enough in the freezer before starting. I'm thinking seriously about a small meat slicer. It would be nice for the bacon also. It's just one more thing to find storage room for though.

About 3-1/4 hours in. I started at 165F for the first 2 hours and then turned it down to 145F. Some of the pieces towards the door seem to have liquid laying on them. I just gave all the trays a 180 deg turn but did not re-arrange top to bottom. There is water puddling on the table under the dehydrator so it must be working lol. The pieces of meat do not seem to have reduced in size much so I am wondering if I have them too close (a number started with them touching) and it is impeding my air flow.

My garage does smell good.

About 7-1/2 hours in. Some of the jerky feels rubbery and doesn't really crack when bent. Some of it cracks when bent but doesn't really feel dried out. It has a completely different feel than the beef jerky I made. Is this normal with pork?

About 8-1/2 hours I've pulled everything out. All the jerky has a good chew to it. Some of the pieces didn't seem to dry down much past 1/4" and feel a little rubbery.

The recipe with maple syrup seems shiny and doesn't crack much but the wife says it's a bit like leather . The pieces seem to have dried to a thinner state than the other types. The taste is good. They are stuck to the drying sheet pretty good.

The chili lime dried to a lot darker color. It seems to have more of a crack to it.

All the recipes are tasty. The pork loin seems to have a different texture than the beef.
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG

Donno about Pork Rob.
But you might want to pull the thin ones as they appear done.
Then let the rubbery ones continue for a bit more.

I always like my jerky on the dry side. Takes longer to eat it... ;)

You have made me want to do some pork jerky though.

Donno about Pork Rob.
But you might want to pull the thin ones as they appear done.
Then let the rubbery ones continue for a bit more.

I always like my jerky on the dry side. Takes longer to eat it... ;)

You have made me want to do some pork jerky though.

I just put the rubbery ones back in for another hour or two. They are about 1/4" thick and feel like pinching rubber.

Some of the jerky I put back in last night doesn't feel as soft as it did but some of it breaks when bent (cut across grain). After cooling for the night most of it feels a bit greasy. It's all vac packed and heading for the freezer as mixed bags.

Putting the meat on the trays directly from the marinade without blotting dry has made a lot more clean-up of my trays. They're soaking in hot water right now. I think I'll blot them dry next time.

RG, Your jerky is looking good, I always go from marinade bag to tray and then let air dry at least an hour to form a pellicle. This seems to help with smoke adhesion and drying.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky