275 Fuel Oil Tank Reverse Flow Smoker Build, My

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dakota joe

Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
South Dakota
Hello all, newbie here, started a reverse flow smoker build this summer, kind of on the back burner right now, due to the weather and a non heated garage. I would like to post some pics and give you a idea of where I am at, and get some feedback and ideas. Now keep in mind I'm not a avid welder or even a seasoned one, I am a so-so welder, so some welds are not pretty, but they are mine and that's what counts.

So I got this 275 gal oil tank free, it was posted in the local paper "come get it out of my yard". It was cut in half to get it out of the basement, didn't matter to me, it was easier to load into the pickup. I took it home, put a temporary hinge on it and loaded it with wood and started to burn the oil out.Burned it for three days, welded it back together and decided to go a little different with the doors.

I had been looking at all the forums I could find and followed the measurements of a build similar to mine, and used it to get the dimensions of my firebox opening, 26 x 12 in radius. Put a reverse flow plate at 13 inches up, and 48 inches long, leaving a 12 inch opening at the end, and there is a 1/2 inch drop to the drain end for drain flow. Door opening will be 54 x 21.
Here are the rack rails, first rack is level with the opening, next one up 5 inches, top rack up 6 inches. Racks measure 24x53.

This is the trailer I am going to use, 4x7, that I salvaged from a neighbor that was going to send it to the curb.I don't think this is something that I will pull down the highway, but will work for moving around the yard and driveway, I can put it on a open trailer for longer hauls.

Used angle iron and square tubing to frame out the door area.

Adding the firebox. 3030x24. According to Feldons calculator I'm short on the volume, I swear the first time I used the calculator it gave me these dimensions!

adding the air inlet

Cut the door opening and added the rails for the wood box or charcoal box.
Homemade hinges for the door, like how I had to mark Up and front! HA!
Wood or coal tray. I think I may need one with sides on it. Thoughts?

Door on, air inlet still needs handles.

Now don't make fun of this, I thought it was a good Idea. Got a old wooden screwdriver handle, welded it to some rod, may change it later.

Time for the doors

Racks Fit!

Had to think of a way to keep the racks from falling out when you pull them out to load them or check progress. Scrap angle iron...it worked.

Added door clamp on top, haven't figured out how I'm going to add the bottom clamp. I want to add a shelf or tray below the doors, for prep or for cutting or serving. Thinking about 24 inches wide and 54 inches long, same length of the tank. This would bring the shelf out to the same edge as the tire, so when working you would not have to work around the tire  Any Ideas would be great.

Fenders for the tires, need to get them welded.

And I picked up 2 of these for my chimneys. Feldons says I need 85 inches, these are semi exhaust pipes I picked up at the local salvage yard. They are 4 inch ID, and approx 48 inches long, that will give me the 85 inches I need. I'm hoping the bends don't cause any restrictions or problems, any thoughts?

And that is where I'm at!! Let me know what you think and suggest, I know it's not perfect, critique away.

Things that I think I need done, your ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!1

Need that shelf below the door, serving or cutting shelf.

Wood storage area or box, I have some expanded metal on the trailer now, thinking I may fill the whole bottom and use that as a 

wood storage area

Fenders welded on

I picked up two Man Law smoker gauges, 2 1/4 inch, need to get them into the doors, along with some seal for the doors

Weld it to the trailer permantly.

Sandblasted and painted, my son mentioned powder coating, I think that is expensive,, any suggestions.

I have some openings on top from fill tube and fuel level gauge, want to put some kind of meat probe and gauge there.

As weather permits I will be working on this, please feel free to comment.

That is a great looking build!

You are quite a craftsman!

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Al

Looks good so far.

Here's my thoughts.

Weld some flat bar on edge to reinforce the doors so they do not warp  (make an X)

As it is already quite tall and should draw well I would probably run a shorter more volumous stack and mount the intake lower on the cook chamber.  This would help even out the cook chamber temps. (Remember stack volume is calculated from what pokes above the cook chamber).

Sand blast and paint, if it is out of the rain you can easily give it another coat of high temp each year to keep it rust free.

While having a shelf on the front below your cook chamber doors may look sexy it is totally impractical.   Each time you open the doors you need to move everything off it. Also when you pull the racks out everything gets covered in grease.

Mount a big shelf on the end of the smoker is much more convenient.

Looks good so far.

Here's my thoughts.

Weld some flat bar on edge to reinforce the doors so they do not warp  (make an X)

As it is already quite tall and should draw well I would probably run a shorter more volumous stack and mount the intake lower on the cook chamber.  This would help even out the cook chamber temps. (Remember stack volume is calculated from what pokes above the cook chamber).

Sand blast and paint, if it is out of the rain you can easily give it another coat of high temp each year to keep it rust free.

While having a shelf on the front below your cook chamber doors may look sexy it is totally impractical.   Each time you open the doors you need to move everything off it. Also when you pull the racks out everything gets covered in grease.

Mount a big shelf on the end of the smoker is much more convenient.
Thank you everyone for the responses!!

Ahumadora, great ideas, especially the shelf, I didn't think about that. This is why I rely on the experts! I will move it to the front. I will add the X to the doors, and on the stack if I go to a 6 inch,     Feldons says 38 inches, I will remember to measure above the tank, and I will move the intake at the middle. Thanks.

Just a thought, ontop of the firebox, has anyone ever built cooking grates on there? Thinking with firebox temps reaching 500 degrees it would be a good spot for grates for a frying pan for searing or sauteing?

Doesn't get hot enough for searing.  

The thicker the steel the less heat is transmitted to the outside. 

Fine for slow n low like beans, but not much else.

Hey I really like that design I would really like to copy off you I talked to a guy and he said if I can get any measurement videos or pictures he can put it together for me only if it's okay if I can copy off you your help will be greatly appreciate

How have the double exhaust pipes worked out for you? I was at an auto parts store today checking out 4" straight exhaust pipe, thinking about going double as well. Trying to get a place local that will bend them for me tomorrow before I buy.

I did not put them on yet, It was recommended to me to use 1 large pipe instead of the 2, so I'm kind of in limbo now. With it getting warmer, I'll be getting the itch to get it done. You will have to let me know how it works if you get it done.By the way, I picked these up at a local scrap or junk yard, they had a pile of them, already bent.

D Joe, thanks for the heads up on the pipes.  Did you get a good rationale as to why not use two?  I going to post the question on the thread with my build too, but would like to hear what made you change your mind. 

I'm waiting on warmer weather to get back to my project too, and it doesn't look like I am going to get that any time soon.  So I'll hold off on buying anything.  I haven't contacted any scrap yards either, that would probably be a better option if I go with exhaust pipe.  O'Reilly auto parts had the ten foot 4" straight pipe in stock here for $59.  I stopped by last night to at least put my hands on it.  The other option I was looking at was 6" stove pipe, which by the time I bought a fitting, elbow and pipe I would almost be at the same price. 

My plan with the double pipe was to cut the 10' section down to get two 42" verticals with a 90 degree elbow into the firebox side of the cook chamber halfway between reverse flow plate and the top giving me a total 1056 cubic inches of vertical exhaust.  Using Dave's method my target for mine was 1027 cubic inches (47,704 cubic inch cook chamber x 0.022).

Thanks,

FB

Last edited:
I was looking for suggestions from people here on my build, and Ahumadora had suggested using one large pipe, to keep a more even cook chamber temperture, and from reading alot of posts on smokers that is a common problem with homemade smokers. I don't have any experience to suggest otherwise, so that's where I'm at, I would like to hear more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky