250 Gal Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron petersen

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Watford City, ND
Starting a build with 250 gallon propane tank. Been working with Dave on this and has been a huge help, especially understanding the math and terminology parts.

Here is what I have so far:

Volume of the Cook Chamber.... Use the Inside Diameter of the tank...

Diameter X Diameter X 0.7854 X Length = Volume in cubic inches / 231 = Volume in gallons  60147 / 260

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 = FB/CC opening in square inches  240.58

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 = Area under the RF plate in square inches  240.58

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 = Area required at the end of the RF plate in square inches  240.58

Volume in cubic inches X 0.33 = minimum volume of the Fire Box  19848.51

Length of Tank 88"

Diameter of Tank 30"

Vol in CC 60147

FB-CC opening 241

FB Vol 19849

Air Intake 60

ESV 1316

Dia of Stack 7" ID x 34" stack

Segment area 241

Segment height 11.5

FB size I'll make is 30hx30hx32d I know oversized and figure the deep ash drawer would lose some of it's "space". Otherwise should be good.

Picking up a trailer 8x18 which I'll be building a roof and walls for "kitchen". Going to try for competition cooking as well as parties. 

Sounds like your going to have quite a nice setup when your done!

Looking forward to watching you throughout the build.

Al

Hi there.

Yes Dave is a great help.  I used his numbers for the exact same tank and have exactly equal temps between left and right side with temps being easy to control.

30" is a good length for the firebox as you can cut a standard  60",   1/4" plate down the middle saving on cutting and waste.

I will be knocking out a few of these in the coming months.

Best to ask questions first before cutting if you are not sure. 

Been thinking about how I want to set up the 8x18 trailer. My main thought is to have the smoker on the trailer so when I want to get to cooking, I would have to step up on the trailer to get to smoker instead of the side of the trailer above the fender. The trailer wheels are below the deck and does not have fenders making the trailer sit higher. And another reason to have on trailer is to be able to have sides and top to help with keeping the winds and weather out. The sides will open gull wing style when I am cooking, etc. Going to add a couple more cookers (BBQ and smaller smoker) on the trailer and pot burners. It's a nice size trailer for all my kitchen needs (I hope). Just need to get new axles for it as they are mobile home trailer axles.

Open to suggestions and ideas before I weld the smoker onto the trailer, will use as storage while I am working on smoker.

Example trailer:

Here is the trailer. The axles and tires are the wrong ones for trailer. Might buy them and use on my other trailer.

Started putting together the FB, looking great. Forgot to take a picture. 

Was too into my welding to put on a long sleeved shirt, now have 1 arm burns from welding rays, smashed hand between finger and thumb and split open skin. Oh what fun I was having. Wife was cooking dinner and tried to show her, daughter wanted to see it and I showed her, she said I could put my finger thru the hole and twitch the muscle and make my pinky move. Too damn funny. Wife grossed out.

Ok, going to do ribs today and hopefully finish welding the FB.

Have a GREAT Weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky