22 pounds of venison/pork jalapeno cheddar sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This was my first ever big batch of sausage in my MES40. Lessons learned:
  • Mixing this by hand was a chore and a good workout
  • It took a long time...I put it in the smoker at 10:30 AM and pulled it at midnight
  • The moisture load was far greater than expected. I should have cracked the door and run the smoker at a higher temp (to account for the cracked open door) for the drying.
  • I should have walked the temperature up a bit faster - BUT
  • It was absolutely delicious and worth doing again.
Thanks to all for all the pointers I received before I tried this. I think I ate another pound today when I was packaging it.

My recipe:
  • 21 lbs - 50/50 venison/pork butt
  • 1 lb high heat cheddar (~5% of meat weight)
  • 24 oz. (drained) Mt. Olive Jalapenos (a little over an oz./lb of meat)
  • Apple smoked
  • fibrous casing for the 1.25" sausage and collogen for the 33mm casings
The cheddar was about right (for me) and the heat from the jalapenos was mild to medium depending on the bite...but mostly on the mild side. I will bump the jalapenos up to 1.5 oz. (drained) per pound of meat next batch.

Here are the pictures:

Grinding & adding spices/cheese/jalapenos
View attachment 517723

test patty's were spot-on
View attachment 517717

stuffed
View attachment 517715

loaded in the MES40 at 10:30. I was too tired, and didn't care, to take a "done pic" at midnight.
View attachment 517716

done pic - 40 hours later - let them mellow in the fridge during that time
View attachment 517720

sliced and ready to package
View attachment 517721

Packaged and headed to friends and the deep freeze
View attachment 517722
Hi...question how do you keep your cheddar from mashing when run through the stuffier? Mine seems to always smash after the first couple or so links.
I do use the high temp.

" I think I ate another pound today when I was packaging it."

That's funny and easy to do.....:emoji_laughing:

Glad it turned out well, When adding jalapenos its best to be on the mild side. When you share your product with people they seem to be hesitant when they hear the word
"jalapeno" especially when the children want to taste some. I usually make another small kicked up batch and keep it aside for grown ups only

Boykjo

Reactions: uncle eddie
Hi...question how do you keep your cheddar from mashing when run through the stuffier? Mine seems to always smash after the first couple or so links.
I do use the high temp.

I was using pretty big stuffer tubes and not very much water added to the meat mix to aid stuffing. There was very little resistance with the 1.25 inch casings but I could tell the 33mm casings were much tougher to stuff. I can't imagine trying to do sticks unless I add more water to the meat mix.

Reactions: kit s
Yep. Good lookin links uncle eddie. One tip- if you can allow for 1" of air space between links, it will speed up the cooking. Will also give more even smoke on the links. When I was running my MES GEN 1, the max I could successfully smoke without it taking forever was 12.5#....so as I started doing larger batches, I had to do 2-3 smoke sessions. That quickly got old and so I build my current smokehouse 2.5'x2.5'x6.5' tall. Now I can do large batches no problem.....

I agree with Inda!!
The first time I made Beef Sticks, I made 20 pounds, but I could only get 12 pounds in my MES30, without them touching each other.

Everything Looks Great, Eddie!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky