22 inch grate with removable insert for vortex ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffB1961

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
so i have a weber 22 premium OTW and i want to use a vortex on it and need some info to help me choose a grate for it . ATM the weber 8835 seems to be the easiest choice , but it's $52 and plated steel .FWIU weber makes a SS version but it isn't available in America :( . i've read and seen comments on YT about the vortex damaging grates that aren't SS or cast iron . i can't find a budget friendly SS grate with a insert and i'm concerned about the durability of the the cast iron grates slightly above my comfort level . i found this uniflasy for $70 on amazon ...
but i have no idea if it's reasonably durable . i don't plan on using it like a frisbee but i am clumsy and accidents do happen . if anyone is using the uniflasy or has used one what is your opinion of it ? if i go the cast route FWIU if i dont have a insert i'll have to re-season after every vortex use because the seasoning wil be burned off and can cause rusts and food to stick to it . is that true ?

i'm open to other suggestions ..... killa grilla seems to be popular here but are out of my price range . am i over concerned about damaging the stock grate on the premier ? or should i just use it till it's shot and then worry about getting something decent to replace it ?

take care folks , jeff

Jeff,
This is the Weber GBS grate and how I use it for wings. For a plated grate it has held up great.

IMG_20210117_160511.jpg

And meat balls. :emoji_grinning:

IMG_20210121_150355.jpg

Hope this helps.

thanks colin . i won't be buying anything for about 3 weeks but i was sitting here thinking just get the GBS and if i want to sear a steak or add a chunk of wood just put a old cut down cast iron grate (from a discarded grill) across the opening to save the plated metal insert from the heat of the vortex .... or maybe just order the dang cast insert when i order the GBS and be done with it . i'm REALLY looking forward to trying chicken wings on it .
thanks again and take care , jeff

I have the GBS, bought after seeing Colin1230 Colin1230 set up, and have found it to be perfect. I used a CI pan for searing steak multiple times. Below pic I didn’t have coals in vortex (I forgot) but I’ve done it since with good results. Quick to season pan after, few wipes of oil or tallow and let it bake in still hot kettle on indirect.
F1D456EC-0B50-4F5B-939F-CAE223F31F05.jpeg

8142F0B4-1166-4671-84A9-9223E4681195.jpeg

works well when you flip the vortex upside down to make an indefect spot as well.
F42A4569-8352-4B0E-BA4B-5A12CEFE8D95.jpeg

AE1B8611-DEAD-4EB6-90E3-53A03183C298.jpeg

Reactions: JeffB1961
I'm with Al on this one. I still use a basic grate with the Vortex.

Here's some Chicken Fried Steaks and potatoes I did a while back:
1647020043010.png

...and they turned out really good:

1647020144001.png

Reverse the Vortex and cook up some Tomahawks:
1647020354058.png

Chris

Edit - I'm still using the same grate.

Reactions: JLeonard
well , i'm gonna have to make sure the better half doesn't see y'alls replies .... don't want her to start thinking i don't really need a better grate . hahaha . y'all be cooking some good looking food !
thanks for real though ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky