2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
 Save your money and not purchase any masterbuilt smokers.

I am finished with this new unit. I am on a replacement. 3/4 way through a smoke it won't keep temp. I raise the temp and only max out at 140o. I have never had this kind of trouble before. Time to cut losses.

I would not suggest the 30" 20070312 or 40" model.  I purchased the 30 " I got it spent more than the suggested 25 minutes to assemble, plugged it in and NOTHING!  The control panel would not come on.   I called Masterbuilt and guess what, they are closed today 3-29-2013. 

Very disappointing!

The new model is disappointing to say the least

I'm now on my 2nd replacement body, and the whole thing was replace once already.

The 1st replacement body was delivered damaged, and they graciously sent me a replacement body, for the replacement body, to replace the replacement MES 40 that crapped out in December.....Make Sense??

Masterbuilt customer service has been very responsive, but the product itself is not up to par.  I guess I'll just have to see once the new body arrives and I get all the parts swapped over

TJ

I'm now on my 2nd replacement body, and the whole thing was replace once already.

The 1st replacement body was delivered damaged, and they graciously sent me a replacement body, for the replacement body, to replace the replacement MES 40 that crapped out in December.....Make Sense??

Masterbuilt customer service has been very responsive, but the product itself is not up to par.  I guess I'll just have to see once the new body arrives and I get all the parts swapped over

TJ
Wow!!

Guess it's good I got mine when I did, before that model came out.

Is that the one with the controls up front & the exhaust on the left wall near the top??

Bear

Wow!!
Guess it's good I got mine when I did, before that model came out.
Is that the one with the controls up front & the exhaust on the left wall near the top??

Bear
Yeah that's the one with all the problems, bear. I had an earlier model too and loved it. After almost 4 months of back and forth with the new model 40 I got it to work pretty well with some mods and an Auberin controller. Just wondering what happrned to the days when you could take something out of the box and actually uae it. Right now Todd could almost get his money back at the scrap metal yard if they send him a couple more bodies.

Yeah that's the one with all the problems, bear. I had an earlier model too and loved it. After almost 4 months of back and forth with the new model 40 I got it to work pretty well with some mods and an Auberin controller. Just wondering what happrned to the days when you could take something out of the box and actually uae it. Right now Todd could almost get his money back at the scrap metal yard if they send him a couple more bodies.
Hrmph!!!

When those first came out, I thought they would be Awesome, because the top vent is on the left side, to stop the heat from going straight up the right corner & out the vent.

Shame they got all the other problems!!!

Bear

TJ
Todd, if they were smart, they would hire you as a consultant on how to make a superior smoking product.

Conversation I had with customer service.

Masterbuilt:

Good Morning,

The units that were shipped from the factory are newly updated units with the issues corrected. Please let us know if we can be any further assistance.

Regards,

Katie Calalay

Masterbuilt Customer Service

Me:

So the known issues with the controller and the overheating of the units was not fixed on the ones being sold at sams club then?

Masterbuilt:

.ExternalClass P.ecxx_MsoNormal {MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman","serif";FONT-SIZE:12pt;}.ExternalClass LI.ecxx_MsoNormal {MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman","serif";FONT-SIZE:12pt;}.ExternalClass DIV.ecxx_MsoNormal {MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman","serif";FONT-SIZE:12pt;}.ExternalClass SPAN.ecxx_MsoHyperlink {COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}.ExternalClass SPAN.ecxx_MsoHyperlinkFollowed {COLOR:purple;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}.ExternalClass SPAN.ecxx_EmailStyle17 {FONT-FAMILY:"Calibri","sans-serif";COLOR:#1f497d;}.ExternalClass .ecxx_MsoChpDefault {FONT-SIZE:10pt;}
The units were returned to our facilities for inspection of cosmetic issues.   The units in the clubs currently were shipped from our factories.

Me:

I was recently in my Local Sams Club in Montgomery Al and I saw this product had been returned to the store and was now back in stock. I had been doing a lot of research before they were all pulled from stores and know there were a lot of issues with the gen 2 40s from the start and was wondering if these units were refurbished units that had the bugs worked out or new units that the bugs had been worked out with the controllers and the meat probes. I don’t want to spend that kind of money only to be returning it if you guys have not fixed the known issues. Thank you

Is Masterbuilt even worth talking about anymore?  Good customer support is important, to be sure, but the manufacture of a reliable product is even more important.

Well my gen2 40 is back at Bass Pro. THe controller got warm and just quit working . Good Ridens and welcome to the WSM 18.5 inch

BillMc

The had a reasonably solid product before they revamped it and shot it to hell. Still tempted to buy one from Sams to see if they are truly fixed even though I think Academy sports here had two older models.

The had a reasonably solid product before they revamped it and shot it to hell. Still tempted to buy one from Sams to see if they are truly fixed even though I think Academy sports here had two older models.
I wouldn't buy one at Sam's.

I've been told they get theirs special made from China---Cheaper than the rest----Inferior parts------Even have their own Model Number.

Bear

I got mine at Sam's just shy of 3 months ago and yesterday, Easter, the control crapped out! Grrrrrrr. New one on the way. I doubt if you could tell the difference in degree of inferiorness from a Sam unit vs factory since they are all made in China. It's like being less pregnant. They use they same junk and same lack of quality control. It's really our fault for buying them, when you think about it. We are a 'disposable' society.

Is there anything at Sams or Walmart that isn't made in China? Oh, wait, the dvds. They're made in Mexico. I've had to return every one I've bought there.

I think I was one of the 1st masterbuilt 2012 version owners and have nothing but success with the smoker. I have used it over 20 times and after sitting for 4 months, I used it yesterday to smoke my Easter ham. (which turned out awesome)

The temperature is right on according to my hanging thermometer although the center of the unit is where it is accurate as opposed to the top rack which is a few degrees (not much) cooler. The only problem so far is there was a recall on the chip tray which I replaced when the new one came and the door latch has surface rust on it. I am glad the electronics and burner element are working just fine. Thumbs Up

I hope Masterbuilt does sort out the issues and assist current owners as it seems I am in the minority by having a good unit.

I got mine at Sam's just shy of 3 months ago and yesterday, Easter, the control crapped out! Grrrrrrr. New one on the way. I doubt if you could tell the difference in degree of inferiorness from a Sam unit vs factory since they are all made in China. It's like being less pregnant. They use they same junk and same lack of quality control. It's really our fault for buying them, when you think about it. We are a 'disposable' society.
Yes ALL made in China, but Cabelas doesn't make a special deal like "We'll buy umteen hundred thousand smokers, if we can get them really cheap, and we don't care if you use inferior, dangerous components".

Son's friend had his 4 car garage burn down, with his 'Vette, Bike, etc in it. Fire inspector said the multi-plug cord from Wally's had inferior wiring that caused it. A battery charger was plugged into that cord. The battery charger (Home Depot) wasn't at fault. Wally makes so much money through buying their Chinese stuff cheaper than the other stores, that they don't care about a couple of law suits.

I got a 4 year old MES 30 from Cabelas---No problem.

And a 3 year old MES 40 from Cabelas----No problem.

I realize the new problems are with the newer models, but the years that mine were bought had undersize wiring in the same years from Sams Club smokers.

Bear

Hello guys, new member and novice cooker.

I've been lurking and reading here about the problems with the Gen. 2, Masterbuilt Smokers. I have two friends that recommended I purchase one. Theirs are the Gen1 models, they have had no problems at all with theirs, both 40s. I'm somewhat reluctant in purchasing, but... my local Home Depot does have one 2011 stainless 30 left in stock. Would you feel safe in buying this unit?

My two buddies rave about theirs and both do a lot of cooking on them. I'm handy enough to make the mods that might be required to get a decently functioning unit to perform even better, even to replacing wiring and lugs from the get go.

I'm leaning toward the gen 1 units being fairly reliable and making my purchase this afternoon when I get off work.

Do y'all feel this is a two thumbs up or two thumbs down proposition?

Thanks in advance

Themole

Hello guys, new member and novice cooker.

I've been lurking and reading here about the problems with the Gen. 2, Masterbuilt Smokers. I have two friends that recommended I purchase one. Theirs are the Gen1 models, they have had no problems at all with theirs, both 40s. I'm somewhat reluctant in purchasing, but... my local Home Depot does have one 2011 stainless 30 left in stock. Would you feel safe in buying this unit?

My two buddies rave about theirs and both do a lot of cooking on them. I'm handy enough to make the mods that might be required to get a decently functioning unit to perform even better, even to replacing wiring and lugs from the get go.

I'm leaning toward the gen 1 units being fairly reliable and making my purchase this afternoon when I get off work.

Do y'all feel this is a two thumbs up or two thumbs down proposition?

Thanks in advance

Themole
Other than electrical problems with the units, I have to warn you----Many of us wish we wouldn't have spent money on our first MES 30, and went right to the MES 40.  It doesn't take many of us long to need more room.

Plus I love the glass in the door & the remote control. Also the more room (in height) between each grill rack.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky