2008 Gathering Complete

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pigcicles

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 25, 2006
Home
Well since I forgot my camera the gathering pics seem to be rolling in slow so I'll try to give you a "statement" of what happened and just have to live with Bubba giving me the "Without pictures this thread is useless" statement...

Friday afternoon I arrived about 1:30ish. Peculiarmike and his wife Jane were already there along with his neighbor Mike, wife, and two daughters. Also Shortone Steve, his wife Rhonda, and Smokinmeat Matt was there. Matt was looking for the dog that was supposed to be on the leash tied to the back bumper
monkey.gif
. I don't think Mr. Griswold ever found that dog.

In the later part of the afternoon Chargrilled came rolling in with his lovely bride and found that his Dad had cruised down from Montana (BIG surprise) just to be with him on his birthday. Way cool surprise ... two big thumbs up to Greg for the sneak play
2.gif
2.gif

Friday evening Buela was fired up and 14 racks of ribs were set to smoke.
Chargrilled was busy with his projects and catching up with his Dad. I believe (correct me where I go wrong Travis) he was working on most excellent chicken wings at the time.

Steve had pig candy and ABT's on Buela also... almost forgot about those. Good stuff maynard.

We had way more ribs, of various rubs and flavors, than twice as many people would have eaten. Along with the sides and the constant snacking nobody went away from that one hungry.

Friday night was spent chatting about what ever and general good times.

Saturday morning - Peculiarmike and Jane made up their famous breakfast fatty burritos - mmm if you haven't tried em you gotta whip some up. After breakfast Mike put on a couple of boneless pork butts into his pineapple drum smoker for a good smokin.

Snacks were always coming out and everyone kept their tummy full.

Saturday afternoon I had my pig barrel fired up for hamburgers (light lunch) along with the corn on the cob which was done over the sites pit grill. I made an attempt to fry up some squash, but the coals weren't hot enough so that idea got scrapped. I also put some Spam on with the burgers.

Chargrilled brought down some sausage and some venison fatty... WOW that stuff is good. If you ever get the chance try it out.

Saturday evening Chargrilled finished up some beef that he pulled and smoked mac n cheese. Nice job Travis! That beef was great!

Also that evening we had Mikes Pulled pork with the Po Boy Sauce and my god everything else under the sun I think.

Steve did up some awesome stuff in his dutch ovens (sorry Steve I forgot the name you put on it) along with 3 cobblers. If you can ever try one of those cobblers (I mean if you're within a 1000 miles) you better try it. Super duper good eats.

Park ranger (Ranger Smith from Yogi Bear) stopped in to get some groceries. I think he went away happy cuz nobody got a ticket for dogs not on a leash.

All in all the weekend was a major hit and I think it will only get better everytime a get together happens. Next year I hope everyone can plan on coming - Even Big Al.

That's the high spots. I'll leave some for the people who had sense enough to bring their cameras finish the story.

Why you gotta be like that bro........
wink.gif

Did Jeff not attend this event?
Looking forward to any pics to see if this really happened or you guys just dreamed it!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Jeff had a schedule conflict and wasn't able to attend this year. Mike should have picture proof sometime.

I forgot to mention that Bud & Tonto called while we were there (Luv you guys). We all had a nice chat with them - Wish they were able to make it. We made it all weekend without salad ribs. Such a disappointment
icon_evil.gif

Bubba I gotta be like that cuz you made me that way ...
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

Well sounds like a good time was had by all which is the important thing, pics or no pics!

sounds like a blast, I bet everyone gained a pound or two!
icon_smile.gif

Definitely sounds like a great time was had by all! Wish I could have found a way.....

OK. First, I need to get something straight.
I took the Event Coordinator position because I wanted the event to be bigger and better than last year. I put time and money into it, burned gas. I fully expected support from this site. I got NONE. There was no mention in the monthly newsletter. There was no post from Jeff on the site promoting the event. I asked Jeff for a letter identifying me as SMF Events Coordinator to present when I went begging Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Dick's, etc. for loot to give away so they would not think I was trying to scam them. I never got it, AND I GOT NO LOOT EITHER. And the event was funded 100% entirely OUT OF MY POCKET. (Since last year was such a great time I really didn't mind)
Guess what? Pretty much the same as last year. Those who got it together last year told me it was like pulling teeth to get anything from SMF.
So. The event happened last weekend. And it was outstanding, like last year. Had some new faces involved and a bunch of "old friends" from last year. Best eats and a really fine time. If you missed it you missed a LOT.
NOW Things changed a bit. I got a call from a friend offering funding for the event. Yep. Offered to buy a banner and cut me a check for expenses. An outfit not scared to mention SMF there. And doesn't need to "steal" members either. And EVERYONE attending is a member of both sites!
An offer I couldn't refuse.
See, the event was ENTIRELY MINE anyway. I can do as I like. And I did.
So, here are some pics. It DID happen Bubba! You bet it did.

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...view=slideshow

Look quick!
Anyhow, it pretty much went down as Pigcicles said in an earlier post. And it WAS A GREAT TIME!

Mike

Great pics Mike, nice to finally see what Pig looks like.....
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
lol
Too bad you couldn't get any backing here, looks like you pulled it off anyhow, thanks to a great bunch of guys!!

Glad everyone had a good time. It was very generous of you Mike to lay out your time and your coin for the benefit of your BBQ brethren. I'm sure it was all appreciated.

Nice pictures, especially love the one of the big banner promoting that "other" site.

I think perhaps maybe you should have charged him for advertising?
wink.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

seems like the advertising WAS paid for by him!

Hey Mike, nice job, taking the ball, and continuing to run with it. Looks like alot of friendships and fun going on at the event, reguardless of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. I surely wish I could have made the trip. Maybe next time.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

No doubt the ad was paid for, lol. Well done, done, don't ya think?

sounds like a good time by all.. and with out saying the camp viddles looked heavenly..No adult beverages allowed?? I did not see a martini shaker any where in site.

do you all do any shooting at these events? besides BS.lol.

I take animal crackers and set against tooth picks and let the kids shoot air rifles at them, the critters in the area do a great clean up..

glad all had a safe time..

Thank you Peculiarmike for all you time and effort in making the arrangement for the get-to-together. Had a wonderful time. Steve "Short One" and Rhonda

Mike - the pics turned out great! Again thank you for all the work you put into seeing that this came together - no matter what. We all had a great time, enjoyed great food, and made some new friends.

That is what this is all about - BBQ and good times - leave the world's politics behind.

Thanks again for a 5 star weekend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky