20# Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scotsman

Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I've been given this Turkey with 8% enhanced solution to smoke tomorrow.  Can anyone give me a recipe to brine this in to make it the most delicious possible?  I'm planning on throwing it on the Traeger tomorrow @ 325F.

Is it thawed? lol

T-1 is late for brining, imo. :) Inject, if thawed, and smoke away. I don't brine my 'enhanced' birds. 

If not thawed, cold water method. Do NOT put a semi-frozen bird into any cooking apparatus. EVER!

Happy Thanksgiving, and God bless.

Shawn

Is it thawed? lol

T-1 is late for brining, imo. :) Inject, if thawed, and smoke away. I don't brine my 'enhanced' birds. 

If not thawed, cold water method. Do NOT put a semi-frozen bird into any cooking apparatus. EVER!

Shawn
Yes it's already thawed.  What injection do you suggest?

I'm actually just thinking about rubbing it and leaving that overnight.  Sounds like way less work and easier.  Anyone have a good rub?

Injecting is the way to go, that way the flavoring makes it into the meat. The last couple turkeys I smoked, the skin came out pretty nasty.

Is it thawed? lol

Shawn
Yes it's already thawed.  What injection do you suggest?

I use Cajun Injector creole butter. If my brother in law who is the pickiest eater on the planet says it's good, then I think I did something alright.

Reactions: asfastasitgets
I injected mine with seasoned clarified butter. 5 sticks worth. lol

Season to your own taste (and whoever you're feeding). Mine was mostly Cavendar's Greek Seasoning and generic 'Poultry seasoning'. 

Clarify your butter, or the bird will do it for you, and it's disturbing to people that don't know what the milky stuff is. ;)

actually just put it in slaughterhouse brine.  hope it comes out ok.

when i put it on the smoker can i just cover it in butter then bacon on top like in the oven?  Would you put it in a roasting pan?

when i put it on the smoker can i just cover it in butter then bacon on top like in the oven?  Would you put it in a roasting pan?
Many swear by the pan method. I've done it both ways with good results. I prefer a pan on big bird to catch the drippings for gravy juice AND to keep the bottom of the smoker cleaner. I do put a rack in the pan though to keep the bird from sitting in it's grease and throw an onion or two around the sides with maybe a carrot & some celery as well. Clean up is a snap using a disposable pan and you can put it on the range to make the gravy if you're careful.....Willie

It was really rubbery. Once I pulled on a small piece of it, the whole thing came loose so I just pulled it all off and tossed it.
Low temp. Finish those. :) Crisps the skin, but requires vigilance. 

If it comes off the smoker at  a 'done' IT, broil. If the wind blows out your fire, 375 degree oven. Just watch it, and use a thermometer.

I don't like to put the turkey in a pan, but I do like to put a pan on the rack below to catch the drippings for gravy use.

I used to do low and slow smokes for turkeys, but have switched to hot and fast. I run the smoker up around 325°. This will still give you good smokey flavor, and crisp the skin at the same time. Not to mention it cuts the cooking time down dramatically. I do brine my turkeys. I use a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and onion. Like to keep it simple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky