20 pound turkey cured and smoked

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by crankybuzzard, Dec 19, 2015.

1. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My side of the family is celebrating Christmas tomorrow, so I made a big bird. Cured for 4 days, smoked at 240 for just over 6 hours. Pulled when the breast was at 167 and the thigh was 172.

tropics, bdskelly, disco and 2 others like this.
  2. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That is a beautiful bird CB!  Please post pics of the meat once carved...[​IMG]

Mike

3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That is a a great looking bird!

4. That's one fine lookin bird, cranky. Fantastic color on it.

Smoke it up
    William

5. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'll be taking it over to a family gathering tomorrow, I'll try to get some shots. Should be some nice pink hammy flavored meat!

6. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice color on that bird William.  I guess my invitation got lost in the mail? 

[​IMG]  

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  7. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

CB I will be watching cured for 4 days should be real pink.

Richie

8. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fine job !!! Thumbs Up

9. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking turkey! What times dinner????

POINTS!!!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  10. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Beautiful bird. CB. A work of art.

Point

Disco

11.  CrankyBuzzard  You cut that pic from a  magazine cover!​

Just kidding, that is a picture perfect bird!

I am doing one for our Christmas but will be spatchcocking it because it wont fit comfortably in my BTMLE offset smoker! 22 LB'er

12. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

CB, Awesome looking bird !!!!

13. crankybuzzard

Richie,  it really wasn't as pink as I thought it would be.  There was a nice pink tint to it, but light.  The taste was spot on though.  Everyone agreed that I'll be making them like this from now on.  This was the first time I had done one like this for my side of the family.

14. crankybuzzard

So, I got over to my Uncle's house and discovered that I had left my carving set at home.  I figured my redneck uncle would have a few knives and such, but I was wrong.  Only steak knives at home, all other's are in his hunting box and that's at the camp site.  So, he got out his electric knife, it's dead!  I went out to my truck and got my skinning knife to do the job...  It worked well enough.

We all have that one relative that has to try and taste everything you're working on, he didn't try again once I explained just how sharp my knives are...  [​IMG]

The rest is just pics of the meat all cut up.  The pic of the dark meat looks kind of funky since there was a LOT of fat on it, I cleaned it up, but didn't get a pic...

mike5051 likes this.
  15. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You done good !!! Amen.....

16. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

CB I bet that still tasted great,now I know why I carry a fillet knife in my truck. Points

Merry X-Mas 

Richie

17. Looks awesome! Bet it even tastes better! Smoke On! PS. Was that Pops brine(cure)?

18. Hey CB,  l like  your new Avatar ......................   Looks like you are Holding Up a Convenience Store  !!!    LOL

Gary

19. crankybuzzard

HA!  That's good!

20. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That came out incredible CB!  [​IMG]

Mike