2 x 5lb pork shoulders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

niallam

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Ireland
Picked up these 2 for dinner, dry brined them with a whiskey smoked sea salt and now rub on them and at 5lb each should take just under 10 hours I hope.

This is my second attempt at full shoulders, my first was on a cheap offset that took 13 hours (bigger shoulder) but needed houry temperature monitoring and firebox clean out 1/2 way through.

Looking forward to this now with a smoker that can hold 222-230 for 6 hours easily, my longest test so far.

The old cheap one, little kettle and the new build.

6 hours in. Now stuck at 150-154 now over the last long time, not gonna go down the crutch route so will see how much longer the stall lasts.
156 now :)

Have bits to do to perfect it I think, start earlier is first on the list. The night before will probably be a better idea.

Instead of injecting them I'm going to try the Texas crutch method next time with a liquid of some sort and then back on to finish the bark hopefully.

I've almost a year to practise for my first competition so it's gonna be the next 11 months of changing and trying new things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky