2 spatchcocked chickens - what sort of timeframe am I looking at?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawtsauc3

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
It's finally supposed to be 60 in MN on Sunday, so I picked up 2 whole birds to try to make for my first time. I'm just curious what sort of time frame i'm looking at for these birds. I'm hoping they're something I could get done in 4 hours or less, but any input is appreciated.

I plan on cooking them on a WSM at around 260 if that helps

YUM - love spatchcocked chickens! they go pretty fast since they are all flat. time is temp dependent. I like to run mine 230 ish to get more smoke time. if you want crispy skin hot would be better.

Reactions: hawtsauc3
Spatchcocked whole chickens you should be able to do in a couple hours. Certainly less than the 4 hours you have allotted. I would actually smoke them a bit hotter, 275 or so. Should be done 2 to 2.5 hours. Your mileage may vary of course.
I'll maybe try them hotter. my WSM has tended to settle around 250 and 260 so I just haven't fought it on those temps, i'm like if that's where you wanna run then alrighty lol

Reactions: SmokyMose
run 260 for about 2 hours and then through in 375 degree oven for 15 minutes for the skin. you should be fine. I like 165 breast and 170 thigh temps. 165 is FDA guideline for safe chicken. YMMV!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

400 for around one hour.
Cook breast until 160 and legs/thighs to close to 200 and then rest for 10 minutes.
I like to separate the legs/thighs from the breast and cook them solo for 10 minutes then place the breast.
Chicken is best when cook HOT.

I love spatchcocked. Only way I cook whole bird anymore.
Wife loves crisp skin. I cook in indirect kettle at mid 300's.
If you want crisp skin and cook/smoke at a lower temp, then follow phatbac phatbac suggestion to finish off in a hot oven.
Don't overcook. Learned that the hard way. That's why I use higher temps.

Backbone gets simmered out with saved bones for fabulous homemade stock.

I like to cook my chicken whether spatchcock or beer butt at like 350. I throw a smoke tube in there for the extra smoke when cooking at high temps. Birds cook fast and always have a perfect crispy skin and plenty of smoke flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky