2 shoulders different finish times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
Well after some much needed time off I got a call to go back to work for awhile before spring break up is upon us here in the Canadian oilfield. So as I was shopping for groceries to take to work and picked up a cryovac'd pkg with 2 pork shoulders for $40.
I prepped and rubbed with a homade rub, put them in the smoker figuring I would do 1 for day shift and 1 for night shift. We started them at midnight @ 200°. Before my shift I checked temp and turned it up to 225° put them in pans with some apple juice, then put the probes in and noticed the 2 slabs were 15° difference. I put a 3rd probe in for the chamber and switched their spots. kept an eye on them and no change, the first 1 was done shortly after noon which worked out great for the boys.
pp1d.jpg

pp2d.jpg

The second one I placed Directly in the middle of smoker along with a pineapple I halved to go with the PP sammies. Thought I would try the two together, and it turned out really good mixing them together for sammis. The second one took a full 6 hrs more to finish.
pp1n.jpg

pp2n.jpg

It really worked out in my favor, but I have never had that happen before, it is like it went through a stall 2 or 3 times, 175, 184 and 192. I have done 2 and 3 at a time and they have always finished fairly close together. Has anyone else had such wide variance in finishing times? Thx for looking. sorry no sammie pics.

A six hour difference is pretty hard to explain, I'm clueless. But on the other hand they look awesome!

I usually don't do more than 1 butt at a time, but they never seem to take the same length of time to cook.
Al

Thx, guys, I can;t seem to find much of an explanation either, the temps are fairly close all the way around in the chamber, Just one of those things I guess.

I imagine there were some pretty happy guys when you served those beauties up Charlie. Looks real good from here.
I never thought of adding pineapple and mixing it up with the PP. How long did you smoke it for?
Glad to hear you got one more job before breakup.
POINT
Gary

Way to take care of the guys! Nice smoke!

Don't remember ever having six hour finish difference between two butts smoked at the same time.
But, when smoking them individually I have had some that took a lot longer than others. Can't give you a number because I don't remember :D

Charlie No idea how I missed this sorry Them pigs have their own mind when it comes to being cooked on time LOL Likes
Richie

Thx guys, appreciate the comments and likes. Gary They were put on at midnight at 200 ish, then at 6 am I turned them up to 225. First one was done at noon, next one was 6 pm.
Did you get your tenderquick?

Never had a time difference quite like that. Maybe they knew it was for two different shifts and wanted to help you out.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky