2 Pork Butts on the Smokin'-It#3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When will my sandwich be ready? Do you always go that light on the rub? I personally lightly oil and coat pretty heavily with a Memphis style dry rub. Looking forward to your finished product!

Usually go heavier, but ran out...backup was in the house and I had porky hands preping in the garage...

It'll be fine, I hit the interior as well as Costco here only sells boneless...

Should be done by 8:30 in the morning...going to the Minnesota Brewer's Guild Autumn Brew Fest and needed some lunch before for us and the kids...and grandma/pa love it...good trade for babysitting.

Last edited:
Left unattended overnight it'll overflow my catch pan below and stain my paver driveway...

Have done it in the past and works fine.

Up to 182*F, bumped the temp to 250 to finsh them off..

Those look excellent! The kids are gonna be begging to stay with Grandpa if you feed them that well!
By the way, save the pan juice. I pour it in a bowl and put it in the fridge for a couple hours til the fat solidifies. Then it can be removed and saved for things like tamales or anywhere seasoned fat might come in handy. The remaining juices I usually strain and reduce and add to a thin Carolina style finishing sauce. It adds a lot of flavor back into the pulled pork.

Last edited:
Sounds good, MD boat bum!

What do you think...some vinegar, brown sugar to the defatted liquid?

Any finishing sauce will work, but the simpler the better in order to not obliterate the flavors of the pan juices. I'd say some vinegar and brown sugar would work just fine. Just use your nose and taster. If the vinegar flavor is too strong for you you can cut it with apple juice, beer, ginger ale or whatever you have on hand.

Here's Chef Jimmy's finishing sauce. I don't think he'd mind me posting it here, folks seem to love it.

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky