2 Pastrami and 1 Roast beef with Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stlmyke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Couldn't find the camera for the Prep part, But started with 2 corned beef flats (about 4 pounds each) and a Angus top round roast - wedge cut (3.5 pounds)

Started with the Roast for roast beef using the Aaron Franklin rub with extra pepper for the roast beef and Then onto the 2 briskets and I went with the Katzs rub recipe for the pastrami.

Franklins Rub

--------------------

1/2 Kosher Salt

1/2 Coarse Black Pepper

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Hungarian paprika

Katzs Rub from amazingribs.com - triple batch

--------------------

4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

they are in the chill box now wrapped in plastic wrap getting happy.

Will post more ttomorrowwhen they come out and I find the camera.

-Myke

Those look good man! I'll tag along for this 
beercheer.gif

went to check temps and add wood if needed and it looks like my Taylor probe is not acting right, the probe with the roast beef is reading 50 degrees cooler than the Taylor that's in the pastrami. I changed the batteries and still the same. I was going to cook it for about 6 hours and check with toothpick so that is a good thing.

Looks good so far.  You are going to love the Katz's Deli pastrami!  Make sure you let it sit for a couple of days in the fridge and then steam it.  It is incredible!!!

went to check temps and add wood if needed and it looks like my Taylor probe is not acting right, the probe with the roast beef is reading 50 degrees cooler than the Taylor that's in the pastrami. I changed the batteries and still the same. I was going to cook it for about 6 hours and check with toothpick so that is a good thing.
What are the actual readings ?

One was 47 and the other was 97
Is your fire in the FSB ?  Did both meats go on at the same time ?   Were all of them fresh or had any been frozen ?  This last question is basically asking if all the cuts of meat had roughly the same IT at the start, or was the Roast beef colder to begin with ?

Last edited:

Is your fire in the FSB ?  Did both meats go on at the same time ?   Were all of them fresh or had any been frozen ?  This last question is basically asking if all the cuts of meat had roughly the same IT at the start, or was the Roast beef colder to begin with ?
Yeah it was in the FSB and they both went in at the same time.  Both were pulled from fridge from sitting wrapped with rub overnight. The IT was only within 5 degrees of eachother. I am going to try the boiling water way to test it today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky