2 9lb butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Joe Hart

Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Pasadena Md
I am 7 hours in to smoking 2 9lb butts.
Internal temp is currently 140, need these by 2 this afternoon. Am I going to make it?
Should I increase cooking temp?

What is the temp?

250 - 275 will move them right along without drying them out.

Are you sure that your thermometer is accurate?

I always put butts in pans and cover. I also add some vinegar and apple juice when I cover them. You could bump to 300 when you cover.

I would bump to 275F
If it gets done early, shred it and let it sit. I think it is like chili and tastes better with a little "age" on it.

I just looked at my smoking records and a 7 pound butt at 275F took me 10.5 hours...

I would bump to 275F
If it gets done early, shred it and let it sit. I think it is like chili and tastes better with a little "age" on it.

I just looked at my smoking records and a 7 pound butt at 275F took me 10.5 hours...
Thanks, butt is now 150, should get there.
I did bump to 275.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky