1st with my new vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Crozet, VA
2 1st actually my 1st time cooking with the vortex (off brand for 20 buck but same exact thing) and 1st time using holy voodoo rub from meat church. I have to say I like this thing my lid thermometer got above 500 deg so on the grate where the wings cooked was probably around 475 give or take a few degrees. I left 5 wings with just the voodoo and the other 5 had voodoo and a little bw3's carribeann jerk sauce on them. They all turned out great! Have to say the plain voodoo were everyone's favorite but both were great. Skin was nice and crispy and the wings were really tender and not dried out at all! I recommend getting one of these things if you have a kettle or egg grill/smoker.
20200821_173912.jpg
20200821_174305.jpg
20200821_174608.jpg
20200821_183223.jpg
20200821_184811.jpg
20200821_192752.jpg
20200821_193224.jpg

Nice piece of work, the Vortex is absolutely a killer on wings, Like! I've taken to chopping off the little worthless piece of wing, no sense taking up grill space on something that doesn't get eaten. RAY

Reactions: Motorboat40
Nice piece of work, the Vortex is absolutely a killer on wings, Like! I've taken to chopping off the little worthless piece of wing, no sense taking up grill space on something that doesn't get eaten. RAY
I usually do but got off work a little later than I wanted to so I just seasoned and threw them on the grill.

I will definitely try it on beef it is a bit sweet but I would like to see how taste on a steak maybe. I am smoking my 3rd brisket but 1st time smoking one on a webber kettle as I am typing. Trying out Kosmos cow cover and kosher salt ,course pepper, garlic granules and lite sprinkle of Cheyenne pepper. Small brisket trimmed down to 7lbs started it 730 this morning ill post that cook later today when its done or maybe tomorrow

Reactions: sawhorseray
I will definitely try it on beef it is a bit sweet but I would like to see how taste on a steak maybe. I am smoking my 3rd brisket but 1st time smoking one on a webber kettle as I am typing. Trying out Kosmos cow cover and kosher salt ,course pepper, garlic granules and lite sprinkle of Cheyenne pepper. Small brisket trimmed down to 7lbs started it 730 this morning ill post that cook later today when its done or maybe tomorrow

Yeah, you'll be eating late today! Amazing how long those briskets take to get done, and then you want to let them sit for at least an hour. I got the SnS along with the Vortex, I might try a small brisket using that someday, tho doubtful. I have a offset smoker and I'd most likely opt for chilerelleno chilerelleno 's extremely hot & fast brisket method, get's it done in half the time. RAY

Yeah, you'll be eating late today! Amazing how long those briskets take to get done, and then you want to let them sit for at least an hour. I got the SnS along with the Vortex, I might try a small brisket using that someday, tho doubtful. I have a offset smoker and I'd most likely opt for chilerelleno chilerelleno 's extremely hot & fast brisket method, get's it done in half the time. RAY
Yes sir I plan to crank the heat up after about hr 4 or 5 wanted to try the hot fast way. Running at 250deg right now. Don't have the sns but I saw a video using the two baskets that come with the mastertouch so this is what my set up looks like today. Got a water/drip pan under the meat. I also am not goimg to wrap i really want to see what and unwrapped brisket taste like!
20200822_064827.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky