1st Try at Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewBuilder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 15, 2019
I don't have a curing chamber but wanted to make some salami so I'm trying out UMAi casings. Quite slick. I'm making Soppressata and some dry Italian. It is a little weird putting the salami into the oven (room temperature) for 36 hours to ferment. It is neat to see the change in color - turning nice and red. I can't wait to try them.

Attachments

• Dry .JPG
    Dry .JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Just Stuffed.jpg
    Just Stuffed.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Fermented.JPG
    Fermented.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 25
Depending on the fermentation agent you used you may need more fermentation time and temp.

I used Bactoferm T-SPX. The recommended temperature range is 65 to 75. The meat brightened and firmed up. It has a nice smell.

Congratulations for taking the plunge into dry cured meats. Temperature is important. For every +5*F in fermentation temperature, acid production doubles. Tspx usually takes 72 hours minimum because it is a slow acting culture. The time fermenting gives the staph. xylosus plenty of time to develop flavor and reduce nitrates.
How much dextrose did you add per kilogram?

Thanks, guys for the replies and now I'm really 2nd guessing myself. I used the https://tasteofartisan.com/homemade-sopressata/ recipe which uses 2.7% salt and 1.33% Dextrose. I watched the video at http://twoguysandacooler.com/t-spx-salami-starter-culture/. UMAi also has some videos which also talk about T-SPX fermentation time. The number they use is 36 to 72 hours.

I put mine in the fridge when the color basically matched the recipe's color which happened to be around the 36-hour mark. The recipe uses a different culture but I think the color would be the same?? From what I understand, the recipe uses a high % of Dextrose and I'm not sure what the effect is on the fermentation time.

Back in the cold oven for my family's safety. I joined this site so I can learn how to do these things correctly and I can't thank you guys enough for the heads up! I'm also looking forward to the day when I get enough experience to give back to the new people starting out.

Reactions: indaswamp
3 days is my normal fermentation time using tspx, better fermenting and color with 72 and temps between 70-75*.

Your on track so keep going.
Since your using UMAi casing bags rack the chubs and put in your normal house fridge, no need for any humidity, the bags are designed to work without it.

Thanks, guys for the replies and now I'm really 2nd guessing myself. I used the https://tasteofartisan.com/homemade-sopressata/ recipe which uses 2.7% salt and 1.33% Dextrose. I watched the video at http://twoguysandacooler.com/t-spx-salami-starter-culture/. UMAi also has some videos which also talk about T-SPX fermentation time. The number they use is 36 to 72 hours.

I put mine in the fridge when the color basically matched the recipe's color which happened to be around the 36-hour mark. The recipe uses a different culture but I think the color would be the same?? From what I understand, the recipe uses a high % of Dextrose and I'm not sure what the effect is on the fermentation time.

Back in the cold oven for my family's safety. I joined this site so I can learn how to do these things correctly and I can't thank you guys enough for the heads up! I'm also looking forward to the day when I get enough experience to give back to the new people starting out.
I like to keep an eye on the PH level also. The meters are not that expensive. It's a good way to double check how your culture is performing. I concur The T-SPX usually takes my products a good 65 + hrs. But, I'm not using the Umai

Buy the Book: The Art of Making Fermented Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski

It's the absolute best $20 bucks you will ever spend for your education on this subject. Just enough technical stuff so you understand why things are done the way they are done, but easy to read and comprehend. Buy it today....you will thank me later.

From what I understand, the recipe uses a high % of Dextrose and I'm not sure what the effect is on the fermentation time.
From what I learned...

Many experts use "1.0% dextrose will drop the pH 1 full point."

That is 10g Sugar/kilogram (1 gram dextrose drops pH 0.1 point). But that is for fast and medium fermented products up to around 48 hours.

For slow fermented products, a more accurate ratio is 0.62g/kilogram will drop the pH 0.1 point.

Also, temperature is important for fermentation. For every 5*F increase in temperature, acid production doubles, thus reaching your pH drop faster. The Staphylococcus strain in the culture work best above 45*F which give your color and flavor development. Which is why the recommendation to ferment at room temp or a cold oven is given. Slow fermented products are not typically fermented above 75*F.....typically 65-75*F.

Also-slow fermentation products usually do not have a pH drop below 5.2-5.3 and depend on drying to be stable and safe to eat... dry to 35-38% for a final Aw 0.85 or less...

Last edited:
Buy the Book: The Art of Making Fermented Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski

It's the absolute best $20 bucks you will ever spend for your education on this subject. Just enough technical stuff so you understand why things are done the way they are done, but easy to read and comprehend. Buy it today....you will thank me later.
The book is ordered. Thanks

Reactions: indaswamp
If you also used 0.25% cure then you are OK...remember that the cure has about 90% carrier salt to dilute the cure for easier measuring...
I did use .25% cure #2. We took one out of the fridge and fried some up while baking the rest. I was very good. I will wait for the weight to drop 40% to eat anymore.
Amazon delivered my book today. Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky